PDA

View Full Version : My cat is molting....lol

DogMom
06-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Okay, so my 1000 year old cat has started focusing all of his attention on this one particular spot on his side. He's licking and licking and licking away at it. The skin area is fine--it's not ringworm or even rough or rashy looking. There's nothing medically wrong with him. He's just focused on licking this one area of hair off. I think it's just got to where it's become habit more than anything else (probably in part to he's so darn fat it's the only area he can reach!)

At this point it's just a cosmetic defect, it's all about looks. And I really am not concerned about his appearance. But it's got to be a nervous behavior and I cannot for the life of me figure out what his deal is.

No extra members in the house and though we moved it was just over a year ago and this behavior just started about a month ago, no fleas and they don't go outside, there's been no change of litter, no change in food, no change in anything except that he gets less food than he got before (my cats have always been "free feeders" but they are both a good 8 lbs overweight so they get half what they should twice a day now). Everything is the same now as it has been for the last 8 years or so.

Thoughts?

celtechfarms
06-07-2010, 04:43 AM
Any sudden change in behaviour tends to be a sign of health issues. what about his ears? How are they? Maybe its a sign his ear on that side is bother ing him and he's 'trying' to lick that?

DogMom
06-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Funny you should mention his ears. He's actually had ear mites forever now. Had them bad BAD when I got him eons ago. I had him treated by my vet a dozen times, but they never seemed to go away and she basically said she wasn't sure what more to try. So I stopped treating it. That was probably...hmmm....6 years ago maybe. He's had them his whole life though. I suppose it could bother him now, even though it hasn't for the last near decade. I don't see any fluid in his ears, though that doesn't mean an ear drum hasn't burst. I suppose I'll take him in just for a check. He's not a people cat--he's pretty much just a big blob on the back of the couch; waddling the other direction if any visitors come over. It's easy taking a 20 lb cat of solid muscle (plus dragging the ground underbelly flab) to the vet....it's the 3 or 4 people needed to hold his cranky butt down during the exam that's difficult.

I think he might just be getting up there in age, or going downhill in health because of age and a rough life. He'd been through hell when I got him, and he was a good 2 or 3 years old then.

But I suppose....he is my Joe Joe (and the only man I've been able to keep around this long). LMAO I spoil him for the most part (after all, it's me, my 3 daughters, 3 female dogs and 2 other female cats). He needs a little extra spoiling.

Though, I'm not sure he'd consider a trip out of his comfort zone spoiling.

celtechfarms
06-08-2010, 04:50 AM
hee heee hee, he's cute too. Never know about the mites, could be they did finally do something to irritate him. Imagine, mites immune to the normal treatments, wonder if regular alcohol drowning would get them all.

DogMom
06-09-2010, 05:42 AM
I hate to sound like an awful person (or pet owner) but Joe Joe is a butt head. He is a "jerk" cat. He just is not a people person. He comes around every once in awhile for some lovin'. Myla hears you and she's at your feet doing that shin dance, rubbing up against you meowing like "here I am, look at me, I need some love". I swear the death of her will be caused by someone tripping and falling over her. She's dumber than a box of rocks sometimes--doesn't understand we as humans can fall much faster then she as an overweight 9 year old cat can run away. Duh. Joey on the other hand--we usually have to go look for him. He's got free roam of the house and he's almost always curled up somewhere sleeping. I had some company over last night. He came out to see what was going on (okay, he snuck his head around the corner), gave his big, deep "raaar" and then waddled down the hall. He's not big on being touched so any kind of regular treatment is always a chore in itself. He's one of those cats where you know you have to do something so you get everything ready in front of you, look at it, take a deep breath and say "okay......ready!". LOL

I think he may have been partly ferrel. The lady I got him from said that she found him in her barn as a baby. She told me he was 8 months or so when she caught him (which is when I got him) but there's no doubt in my mind he was at least 3 years old already. But even after 8 years, you have to sit down and coax him to you to get him. You can't walk up, reach down and pick him up. Oh no, he shows he can still take off running despite his man flab! lol

Some say the smart thing would have been to just have him put down for being so anti-social/wild and get one that is about the love. Truth is though I'm not a huge cat fan so me and him work out perfect. Every now and again he'll curl up with me on the couch, or at least lay above my head and let me turn up the volume on the tv to drown out his snoring.

But he is my Joe Joe--and I wouldn't trade him for the world. hehe

zwendy5755
12-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Coooooooool~ many thanks for you.