PDA

View Full Version : Dog is vomiting and has been on IV for a few days



mallen
05-27-2010, 03:55 PM
I am posting on here so hopfully someone has had the same expereince and can give me info. My mothers dog suddenly started vomiting. She did for a couple days. Now she is at the vet on an IV. She won't eat. She has stopped vomiting. They put barium in here and it cleared ok. Also have done xrays looking for blockage. All blook work came back ok and her pancreas and other organs are ok.

celtechfarms
05-28-2010, 04:34 AM
The IV would be needed to counter the dehydration, the vomiting could have been from a simple virus, to an allergy to something the dog ate to food poisoning or simple poisoning. I would definatly check the enviroment the dog was in, weather the dog came in contact with other strange dogs before the vomiting began or if there was a sudden change in food or routine. Without the test results I would have immideatly told you tohave the dog tested for parvo viurs or poisoning.

mallen
05-28-2010, 05:34 AM
Thank you for your reply. She is a really healthy 2 year old Shi Tzu. My mother said they found her getting a piece of plastic out of the trash but quickly took it from her. The vet said if she had swallowed any pills by mistake that may have been dropped on the floor, it would have passed by now. I am just really worried and wanted to get some suggestions. She is not vomiting anymore but staying at the vet all week on the IV. She is not eating. The vet can't suggest any other solutions and I am trying to reach out to help my mom.

mallen
06-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Good news she is all well. She had swallowed plastic wrap from the trash and they had to operate and remove it from the intestine.

celtechfarms
06-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Good to hear, plastic is a horrible thing, good to know they found the problema nd saved her life.

Western Blot Reagents
02-09-2011, 03:56 AM
It sounds like dog has a heavy infestation of worms. This is quite common in puppies but unusual in older dogs. The most likely parasite is roundworm, which often looks like 5-8cm spaghetti strands. Roundworm can cause vomiting/diarrhea and can be life threatening if untreated. I would recommend an immediate visit to the vet to confirm which type of worm your dog is infected with and to get suitable treatment. This is especially important as some dog parasites can be transferred to humans.