PDA

View Full Version : its getting so much harder!!!

oinkoinkoinkers
03-06-2010, 07:39 PM
If you read my last post you know that my dogs have "demodex mange" and that they were finally starting to improve. well i have bad news and its tragic(at least for me) we took my dogs to go get theyre refill of "ivomec" and everytime you get a refill your dog has to take a heartworm test, well i didnt know that because the last vet we had(we recently switched, he was an AWFUL vet)did not give them one, and this is the first time theyve gone to get a refill. i didnt know this but if your dog has heartworms then ivomec will kill them. my dixie tested posative for heartwormsso her treatment fr demodex mange can no longer be continued in any way, unless we come up with the moneyto treat the heartworms. which at the price it is, sadly we cannot. they have told us unless we have the money to pay for the heartworm treatment there is nothing more they can do for my dog, and that she is going to die. :cry:

We are currently trying to save up the money we need to give her the heartworm treatment(which if you have ever had to get yor dogs you know it is 4 shots over the period of a month)if we are able to save up the mney before she passes then she is going to get treated as soon as possible, but as of right now, its looking like after all the fight me and dixie have put up, its about time for her to give in. we are going to try as hard as possible but we are not sure if we will be able to come up with the money in time. i am so angryat our previous vet because he almost killed my dog by not giving the heartworm test, had i known at that time dogs are spossed to get them before they take ivomec i would have demanded one and taken care of that before i got the ivomec, but i was not informed of this until i got my new vet. so as sad as i am to do this while we save up we are going to be taking dixie to have as much doggie fun as possible until she either passes away or(god willing)we get the money. please wish my dog luck, she is way to young to die she is only 2 1/2 years old, this isnt fair she is such an amazing dog and does not deserve all the pain she has been put through nontheless die. thank you for listning.

DogMom
03-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Sorry to be so blunt but your second vet is full of horse crap. Dogs can live out their normal life expectancy's with heartworms and be otherwise healthy, happy pets. And it's not 4 shots over a month either. Most vets give one chewable, then a shot in two weeks, another shot a month later and a chewable two weeks later. It's usually a 3 month process. And, no preventative is 100% guaranteed. Your dog could have tested negative but be positive a year later, even though she was taking the medicine regularly.

My advice, find a new vet.

PS I have successfully treated MANY cases of heartworms using Heartguard chewables. Haven't had one keel over dead on me yet!

oinkoinkoinkers
03-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Sorry to be so blunt but your second vet is full of horse crap. Dogs can live out their normal life expectancy's with heartworms and be otherwise healthy, happy pets. And it's not 4 shots over a month either. Most vets give one chewable, then a shot in two weeks, another shot a month later and a chewable two weeks later. It's usually a 3 month process. And, no preventative is 100% guaranteed. Your dog could have tested negative but be positive a year later, even though she was taking the medicine regularly.

My advice, find a new vet.

PS I have successfully treated MANY cases of heartworms using Heartguard chewables. Haven't had one keel over dead on me yet!

i see what you are sayingbut it was obly a month ago that i took her to the old vet and he never tested her in the first place for the worms. and yes heartworms is easy to treat, imnot worried the heartworms will kill her either but her taking the ivomec while she had heartworms can kill her she is still not in the clear for making it or not. i know my own dogs condition hun i see her in pain so i know something went wronge

DogMom
03-07-2010, 08:34 PM
What kind of pain is she in and how long has she been in this pain?

It's not actually the Ivomec that will kill the dog. The Ivomec kills the heartworms. If they break up too fast they can cause a blood clot...that is what kills the dog. During heartworm treatment it's strongly advised to keep the dog as still as possible because you don't want the blood to flow too fast. Is it your vet saying taking Ivomec while having heartworms is what will kill her? I'm just confused on that because Ivomec is actually the medicine used to treat heartworms. And the dose in the Heartguard is such a low dose; almost 150 times LESS than what the vet would give her during treatment.

Now, your dog may have an Ivomec sensitivity--which would have caused her to be ill. But that usually passes within 48 hours.

You said in another post that you just recently had her spayed....2 weeks ago right? Healing time is usually 10 to 14 days. Could she possibly have an infection at the incision site?

I work with animals and see a lot of "issues" every single day. But it's hard to really pin point anything for your little girl.

I would definitely seek a second opinion.

I will keep you both in my thoughts though--I hope you're able to find out what's going on with her and correct it.

oinkoinkoinkers
03-08-2010, 08:27 AM
What kind of pain is she in and how long has she been in this pain?

It's not actually the Ivomec that will kill the dog. The Ivomec kills the heartworms. If they break up too fast they can cause a blood clot...that is what kills the dog. During heartworm treatment it's strongly advised to keep the dog as still as possible because you don't want the blood to flow too fast. Is it your vet saying taking Ivomec while having heartworms is what will kill her? I'm just confused on that because Ivomec is actually the medicine used to treat heartworms. And the dose in the Heartguard is such a low dose; almost 150 times LESS than what the vet would give her during treatment.

Now, your dog may have an Ivomec sensitivity--which would have caused her to be ill. But that usually passes within 48 hours.

You said in another post that you just recently had her spayed....2 weeks ago right? Healing time is usually 10 to 14 days. Could she possibly have an infection at the incision site?

I work with animals and see a lot of "issues" every single day. But it's hard to really pin point anything for your little girl.

I would definitely seek a second opinion.

I will keep you both in my thoughts though--I hope you're able to find out what's going on with her and correct it.

well thank you but we have seeked other opinions and gotten the same thing told to us. oh and she did have an infection from her spaying by the way, but it was not at the incision site they said it was because she was in heat when she was spayed an she is taking antibiotics. but we have been told already about ivomec with heartworms making bloodclots, we were told to keep an eye on her while she is ill. by pain i mean she has so much wronge with her at the time everytime we are able to fix one thing on her we find out there is something else wronge with her. so please tell me more about other treatments for heartworms that is less expensive. it would be of so much help. we asked my vet already about the heartguard pills but she says those will not kill the ones in her now it is only for ~prevention~ of hearworms she told us. and thank you for your concer about my dog you have been listning to me since my very first post and helping me and i really appreceiate it.

celtechfarms
03-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Wait a minute, your vet spayed your dog while she was in heat!!!!

I suggest you find a different vet fast, run, and dont look back, this poor dog is lucky to be alive, you never ever spay during a heat!!

Try a vet collage even, but definatly find a vet who knows what they are doing before they kill your poor dog.

DogMom
03-08-2010, 06:13 PM
From what I have read (and most vets will not stand behind this simply because it shows that you can treat it on your own thus them not getting mega bucks for the treatment). Anyway. From what I've learned up on it, research shows that the preventative will keep babies from being "born". So if you give the dog preventative, the adults will not be able to reproduce. But you are still faced with the dog having adults in it's heart. Everything, however, has a life span and it's only a matter of time before the adults simply die off.

However, like I said, the medication in preventative is Ivomec. The medication given for heartworm treatment is Ivomec. So I don't understand (and can't find anyone to explain) how it won't kill adults given as a preventative but will given as a treatment.

I can tell you from experience that I gave a dog a preventative every week for two months and after the 8th dose he was heartworm negative. A close friend of mine gave a dog an Interceptor (also a heartworm preventative) and the dog died within a few hours. Interceptor is Ivomec as well as two other OTC dewormers. Perhaps the issue was simply the dog (there are a dozen breeds that have a serious sensitivity to Ivomec).

Now, as far as one issue after another with your poor girl, a lot of illnesses that I see are genetic. I have one that is a virtually healthy dog. But in the last 9 years we have moved a handful of times. And the first few months after moving I always think "yup, this is it, it's time to consider putting her down". I finally convince myself to have her put to sleep and then BAMB she s running around the house and yard like a puppy again. It wasn't until recently that my vet (who goes out of his way to explain everything he simply can in extreme detail so I can learn from him) told me that it's a strong possibility her sudden medical conditions are brought on by, none other than, stress.

So....you have this poor dog that went through lord knows what before you got her. Got mange (also brought on by stress). Cleared up, inflamed again. In and out of the vet. Stressful. You vaccinated her? Stressful on her already stressed out system. She went into heat (sudden rush of hormones--so stressful). You had her spayed while these hormones are rushing through her system (which meant she went from 100% full blown hormone rush to instantly absolutely nothing!). Stressful. Antibiotics are stressful on their systems too. Look up side effects of the antibiotic she was given (probably Cephalexin or Doxycyclne?). Regardless of what it is, human or animal (it's the same thing) read up on the side effects. How much of that is your dog experiencing? Moving on. Then you take her to another office, seeing another doctor, hundreds of smells. Stressful. She's poked and proded by this vet. Stressful. Then you leave and take her home and YOU are freaked out and she can feel your stress which is going to stress her too. Dogs know!! Anytime I'm angry, my dog hides under the table. When I'm sad or upset, she'll poke her head under my hand or my arm and look at me with the saddest little eyes. When I'm excited or happy she's bouncing around the house like a puppy. They KNOW! They mimick our behavior. What we feel, they feel too.

Now I'm NOT saying that your dog doesn't have something else going on. Keep a journal. I, personally, am a paranoid pet owner (I'm a paranoid mom too). Good grief one single sneeze and rush, rush to the vet (or pediatrician). A couple hundred dollars later either there's nothing wrong or something small and what should be simple (but I'm paranoid so it's so much worse than it really is). Better safe then sorry though.

There is so much information available online. You can find anything and everything online anymore. But don't ever do anything you aren't sure about.

Finding a vet is just like finding a doctor. Sometimes you go from one to another until you finally find one you like. Fortunately, I have one that wants nothing more than for me to completely understand every single thing he thinks and does.....even if he turns out to be wrong. My vet only charges for the medications and tests and whatnot. Never an office visit. He's not in it for the money--he's there for the dog.

Hang in there. Trust your gut and do what's right. And don't ever be afraid to second guess (or research) what you're told.