PDA

View Full Version : my degu just died...

jcall021
01-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Hey all. My degu (i know, most people dont know what this is...) and i am beyond devastated not only because he was so loved but because it was so unexpected. He showed no signs of being ill. Also, his death was particularly disturbing...
his stomach was open when we found him. He shared a cage with his brother (they were litter mates) and i know what ur thinking...the other degu did it. but that cannot be the case for multiple reasons:
a.) the one who died has the more "aggressive" behavior...he was the dominant of the two.
b.) the one who is still alive had no blood on him- only on his nose from sniffing his brother.
c.) he was not bleeding all over the place, nor was there blood in the cage which indicates this happened post-mortem.

i am very confused as to what happened. the only thing i can think of his that biscuit (alive) tried to move his brother and his sharp teeth and nails cut him open when he tried to move him? i dont know. has anyone ever had any experience like this or know anything about siblings eating the other post-mortem? i hate to even think that could be an option, but i wan to find out what happened.

thank u all for ur time.

jcall021
01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
oops...i mean "my degu ( ) just died...

celtechfarms
01-27-2010, 05:14 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. Is there anyway he could have eaten something that expaned? Or is it possible there is somethign sharp in the bedding you did not see? I would consider an autopsy by your local vet for sure.

sampip
08-30-2010, 09:11 AM
I am sorry to hear about your loss. As it was sudden i wonder if he may have eaten something.

My cousin lost his dog recently as he ate a slug, it all such a shock as like you said he had full health which made it a real shock.

The grief will get better of time...