PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what this could be?

petsalive
08-15-2004, 06:43 AM
I saw Thunder (retired Carriage Horse) lying in his field in an unusual spot - went over to see what was wrong. He was frantically biting at his pastern and scratching it with his teeth. I hard a difficult time distracting him but finally got him up. He seemed ok and walked over to the hay. I checked him 1/2 hour later and he was not putting pressure on the leg he was biting (left hind) and it appears to be swollen but not 'hot' over the fetlock.

This morning he is still lame but no additional swelling or heat.

Could this be a reaction to a bee sting and if so what is the recommended course of action?

dunappy
08-15-2004, 08:21 AM
I recommend a vet check, it could be a bee sting or some other biting insect or it could be a snake bite. Treatment will vary to much depending on the cause to give a recommended treatment over the internet. Things you can do to help aleviate the swelling until the vet gets there is to hose the leg off twice a day for about 20 minutes at a time.

petsalive
08-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. We did call a vet (we always do even if they 'look funny') but the vet couldn't come until this morning. My concern was that I have never before seen a horse 'bite' his leg - I realized it meant pain or discomfort but thought it was 'sting' or bite related.

Anyway he has an abscess - the vet pared it out and he is now bandaged and comfortable. We will do the normal things (soak, clean and bandage) and feel confident he will be fine in a few days.

I am so relieved - I understand 'absecces' but have never had experience with bite or sting reactions and was hoping it wasn't that.

Thanks again for the help - forums like these help so much to educate people.

kerryclair
08-19-2004, 11:21 PM
I've never seen anything like this either.
A good place for horse advice is here:
http://ponyboy.ipbhost.com/
People there seem very knowledgeable - espeically a guy named Ed Littlefox, Millrace and Mihunka. They seem to know a ton about horses.