PDA

View Full Version : Sick Golden Retriever - Any Advice/Suggestions?

GoldenInCA
08-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Hi all. Sorry for the general thread title, but I wasn't really sure what to call it. Anyway, here's the situation. I have an 8 or 9 year old Golden Retriever, female, spayed. She's about 7 pounds overweight, and, in the last couple of years, has been slowing down a bit. Nothing dramatic, though, until recently.

About six weeks ago, she started acting like her hind legs/hips were bothering her. She had trouble jumping up on the couch, was reluctant to go on walks, and, if we went far, would be kind of lame the next day. We figured it was the begninngs of arthritis, so the vet prescribed Rimadil, which seemed to help at first. Unfortunately, she seems to be getting worse now, and some new symptoms have started to appear. Her appetite in the morning is occasionally much lower than normal. Her bowel movements seem to go through a cycle of being smaller than normal for a few days until, finally, she has one really big movement, then starts the cycle over again. She also chews at her bum quite a bit. The most drastic change is behavioral though. She's just incredibly lethargic and her face looks drawn and sad.

The vet has checked her anal glands and there's no blood or parasites in her stool. I'm going to have him check the anal glands again and get a full blood panel done, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Is there any particular test you would recommend or any possible diagnosis that leaps out at you? Whatever advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Worried Golden Owner

kerryclair
08-11-2004, 10:48 PM
have them immediately check her for Lyme disease. She seems to have a lot of the symptoms!

Please keep us posted.
Let us know what the blood tests reveal!

petsalive
08-29-2004, 06:57 AM
I hope the problem has been resolved happily by now but if not I would definitely have the veterinarian x-ray her for a bowel impaction and/or tumor on the spleen.

We are lucky to have a vet who ALWAYS x-rays (a small price to pay for being able to diagnose the problem before the animal suffers a lot) if there is any change in 'rear end' function.

One of the things he has taught us is that most times, if an otherwise healthy dog has trouble getting up it is not because of hip problems (dysplasia doesn't ''happen' later in life, it is a condition that generally is present from youth or birth). Sometimes a tumor is responsible for internal bleeding which will make a dog lethargic, 'off feed' or too 'tired' to perform normal activity.

Please let us know how your dog is doing.