PDA

View Full Version : Vaccination after getting parvo? can you?

kruqnut
07-28-2004, 12:10 PM
My dog recently had parvo but it seems as he fought it off himself as he is active now, eating and drinking, and leaving solid poops, i know he had it because a puppy down the street that he plays with also caught parvo.
anyways since he is healthy now we bought some vaccination shots to give to the dog ourselves, and the vets wont tell me if its safe or not to give the vaccination because they don't want to be liable. I was worried that perhaps he might get parvo again from the vaccine, can anyone assist me?

kerryclair
07-29-2004, 07:44 PM
I do not know. Parvo is usually fatal and if your dog have it, you could have put other dogs at risk in your area (unless you were vigilant about cleaning up and using bleach everywhere he urinated). Parvo is a really serious illness and maybe this time you can give the shots to a friend to use and go to the vet to get them done this year so that you can be comfortable and certain.

That would be what I would do.

petsalive
08-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Many people come to these forums for advice and there are many knowledgeable people here to make suggestions - most often these suggestions are to take your animal to the vet (who has devoted MANY years and a LOT of money to learn about their medical conditions).

Kerry is right - parvo is very serious and while many dogs do survive on their own (although I personally think it was negligent of you to allow this - he should have gone to a vet to prevent further problems) STILL their urine and their feces contain remnants of the virus which could spread to other animals in the neighborhood for MONTHS unless you clean properly with bleach. Additionally if it was parvo your dog should not be socializing with any unvaccinated dogs in your neighborhood as his saliva could contain traces of the virus.

I would also like to state my opinion that since you do not even know what the implications of parvo are that you have no business giving your own shots - there are many reactions that can occur that you would be unable to deal with and your dog's life could be in danger.

I have 34 years of experience caring for dogs and I would NEVER vaccinate dogs myself - they are ENTITLED to be seen by a veterinarian.

bleuhound
11-09-2004, 05:50 PM
if your dog had parvo and survived...you dont have to vaccinate as the dog has it in his immune system..

most vets would not recommend giving it after parvo.