PDA

View Full Version : 6 year old West Highland Terrier died suddenly

ems1981
05-11-2009, 02:23 AM
Hi...

My beautiful little west highland terrier has just passed away suddenly. She had been losing weight for the past month or so and I took her to the vets. They gave her 2 injections and she passed away about 8 hours later. Both injections were anti bacterial/anti biotics. About an hour before she died she passed this black tarry stool (very loose) and didn't even move. Before the injections were given the vet took her temp and discovered black stool on the thermometer. I check her stool whenever she goes in the garden and it seems normal colour. She has always had digestive problems but no blood in it. The vet has since said that the injections didn't kill her and she had something wrong before (probably cancer) We were offered a post mortem but didn't want to put her through it. When the vet weighted her she was only 3.9 kilos.

Can anyone give me some advice on this?

knightofalbion
05-11-2009, 03:22 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss.

As to the cause, it could well be undiagnosed cancer. I know here in England canine cancer is rife.

celtechfarms
05-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Black stools are a sign of internal bleeding, if the thermonitor was covered in black stool chances are she was bleeding long before the injections. Blood in the stool could be caused by any number of things, as can weight loss. Cancer is just one of those options. Unfortunatly you will probably never find out what it was, but your vet is right, it is very very unlikely to have been the injections, though why they gave those to her I can not understand. I'm so very sorry for your loss, especially in this manner. My thoughts are with you.

healing07
06-30-2009, 05:16 AM
I m so sorry for your terrier. I know you loved her lot. I think she was diagnosed with cancer and lose her weight. These are the main symptoms of cancer. Cancer is the harmful disease. My friends dog also died with cancer. You can trying to live normal and think forward.