PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye dear friend

knightofalbion
04-25-2009, 04:38 AM
The grief felt when a beloved pet dies is a subject rarely aired in public and is often a cause of puzzlement or even scorn in non-pet owners.
The appallingly hurtful rejoinder - 'oh you can always get another one' - that well-meaning people trot out, serves only to make things worse - as if a constant companion over many years can be replaced as easily as a lost umbrella.
Imagine saying that to someone who has lost a child - and before anyone rails at the comparison, I'd like to point out that, for many people, a pet is the closest thing to a child or dear friend that they have. Trusting devoted, vulnerable and uncritical, a pet is quickly taken to our hearts, and those hearts are duly dented, if not broken, when they are taken from us - Carla McKay

knightofalbion
04-25-2009, 04:43 AM
When Lord Byron's beloved dog died, he erected a headstone in his honour. It lovingly reads:
'Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man, without his vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning flattery if inscribed over human ashes, is but a just tribute to the memory of Boatswain, a dog.'

knightofalbion
04-27-2009, 03:37 AM
A very good book called 'Goodbye Dear Friend: Coming To Terms With The Death Of A Pet' has been published (in the UK.) It is wriitten by agony aunt Virginia Ironside. An excellent book, well worth a look.

Leena
04-27-2009, 01:48 PM
I remember an article I read in a newspaper here... A vet said that many people grieved the death of their pets a lot more than they did for the death of humans. And this because the animals were really true friends. Always loving and accepting you. Never talking bad things behind you back.

Leena

annieshanta
05-25-2009, 03:42 AM
I had a dog named Ronny. It was a very smart dog. It died of old age.
I was very sad.

healing07
06-30-2009, 05:08 AM
I lost my dog last month and its very beautiful dog. I never find my dog again. I feel so sad without him. He was my best friend.