PDA

View Full Version : advice regarding stray cat's dead kitten

manimal
04-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Hi all,

I was hoping someone experienced with cats could offer some advice here.

This morning I found a stray cat (as far as I can tell) meowing inside the compound of my house, and I went out to find it under my car, along with a dead kitten, which I presume was belonged to it. (I think it was carried to that spot under the car by the cat I'm presuming is its mother). The first time I stretched my arm to try to reach for the dead kitten, the mother cat hissed, so I backed off then.

After a few hours, the mother cat "meowed" me out and I followed to my car. This time when I reached for the kitten, the mother cat didn't react aggressively, so I'm presuming it wants me to do something about her kitten.

I'm not sure what the cat wants me to do, though? Can I take out the kitten and dispose of it without the mother cat going bonkers, or is the mother cat trying to get me to resuscitate her kitten somehow. As it is, it's hard for me to reach the dead kitten as my car is parked in a very narrow space and the kitten under the middle point of the car, so I will probably have to move it to be able to reach the kitten more easily.

Any suggestions? TIA!

celtechfarms
04-18-2009, 06:20 AM
In time mom will leave the kitten, best thing to do is simply chase mom off, use a broom, with the soft end gently urge her out then get the body and dispose of it. your giving the cat too much credit of latteral thinking. She is simply in moarning and is most likely crying because of the loss, eventually she would leave on her own, but its better to encourage that seperation now.

DogMom
04-20-2009, 06:16 PM
I agree with Celtich; just pick up and dispose of the kitten. Mommy will most likely move on but she may hang around too. I personally would dispose of the kitten but not while mom was watching.

Good luck and I'm sorry you had to experience something like this!

Leena
05-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Did everything go all right?

Leena