PDA

View Full Version : Mollie has had triplets

LPC
04-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Mollie, our senior ewe, had triplets today; The poor girl had a hard time whilst expecting, as they took a lot out of her reserves. But she made it! I am currently supplementing what she can give (colostrum at first, then milk), as she is still quite tired. Photo attached. Triplets are quite rare in sheep. Something to celebrate.

David
04-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad she made it through the ordeal. How old is your senior ewe? Will the lambs stay the same color as they grow up? Keep us posted!

LPC
04-14-2015, 02:32 AM
Yes, the lambs will keep their colour. Mollie is believed to be 7 years old, but the previous owners weren't sure! We only got her (with others) this spring; we bought the whole flock so that they could stay together. Last year we planned to stop having lambs and just to keep two senior ewes (whom we had raised on the bottle and were very attached to us). Sadly, one of those ewes, our beloved Josette, became seriously ill and finally had to euthanised. That left us with just one ewe - and all the books say that one should never leave one sheep alone, as they are flock animals.

To cut a long story short, we spent a while looking for some sheep to keep Zina (the remaining ewe) company. During the time she was alone, she actually seemed to be enjoying getting all the attention! We expected her to become depressed, but no, quite the opposite. Then, when we found some more sheep locally, she didn't like them that much and kept herself to herself. After some weeks she now accepts them as companions, but recently when I was feeding a lamb and she was watching, the look of jealousy was obvious! It was as if she was saying, "I was your bottle baby. How could you do this for someone else?" LOL!

Anyway, all is well and this year we have had ten lambs so far (the tupping was done before we bought the ewes) - and still one ewe to go! All are doing well.

Zina will now be joined by Mollie in going into retirement. There is no way I will put Mollie through what she had to endure this year. We will find a special ram-free space for them. Bless them, they deserve a quiet time for their later years!

knightofalbion
04-15-2015, 04:43 PM
Congratulations! Glad Mollie is okay.

Sweet little lambs! Bless them.

calvin67
04-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Congratulation. Your Mollie is very nice and lambs are very beautiful. Can you tell me how old are your Mollie.. I think your Mollie is very good. Send her more pictures..