PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion about Dogs and Rats as friends?

Kimdongberly
01-28-2015, 09:27 AM
Hey there, I'm Kimberly. I'm quite new here and I've got a question.

What would you think of a dog and rat being friends?

I know it's not impossible for any kind of animal not to be friends with others they grew up with, but it just puzzles me.

How does the public actually view this particular combination?

LPC
01-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Yes, it is quite possible. I just looked on Google for "dog friend with rat" and found lots of videos.

I suspect that the public's views would be split between positive, expressions of amusement or surprise, and downright opposition (the old school, all-rats-are-vermin types). We should never underestimate the empathy of all sorts of animals.

Enzo
02-17-2015, 07:13 PM
Hi Kimberly,
I find it depends on the dog's temperament. The breed of the dog can play a large factor as well. I have had Boston Terriers and pet rats all my life. Boston Terriers are known to be "ratters" so I am always cautious. Tara was my only Boston who enjoyed the company of my rats. She would allow them to groom her face and curl up next to her on the couch for a nap. I never allowed any of my rats to come in contact with any of my other dogs because from reading their body language, I knew it would not end well. I lived with a friend for a year and her cat Buppy and my rat Tinsel were the best of friends. I actually have a few pictures of them cuddling up together in an album on my profile if you would like to check it out. :)

Micheal
05-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Yes it is possible.. Dog and cat can be friends as well as Apes and cubs so the rat and dog can also be friends.. I've seen that..

ShadowWolf
06-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Oh My Goodness! I Have Two Rats And Two Dogs And They Love Each-other! I Do Agree That It Depends On the Breed Of The Dog, The Size And The Rat(s)

LPC
06-30-2015, 02:13 PM
A warm welcome to the forum. I see that you have made quite a few posts already. Please go to the introductions section to tell us a little about yourself and any pets you may have.

David
06-30-2015, 10:39 PM
Definitely Breed plays a lot. My dog is half Blue Heeler and Black Spanial, I think her herding instincts would kick and would chase them to death. She's definitely the "Squirrel !!! where??" kind of dog. Cat's chase up the tree, bunny's got to run and yes she has been sprayed by skunks 4 times. I wish she would learn her lesson on that one!!! I do believe she is getting better since the last time she realized what it was and only got a glancing blow of spray. It's hard to get that skunk oil out of her coat when she gets a direct hit!

March
07-01-2015, 07:16 PM
It's possible and not unheard of. It would be harder with ratting breeds, of course. If you can get your dog and rat to make friends, then that's awesome! As for the general public, I think most people still villainize rats, and the idea of having them close to dogs would be weird with that ideology. Some people are very closed minded.