View Full Version : A bat in need!

10-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Don't know in which forum I should put this.
Today I found a little bat on floor of the Exit to my hotel in Thailand. I picked it up and put in on the next tree, so nobody would hurt or kill it. I was a bit careless and didn't use gloves. It didn't bite me, it only tried to hold on to my finger as I put it on the tree.
It is nighttime now, and the little fella is still sitting in that tree. I heard him squeaking when I walked by.
Since there is most likely no animal rescue program whatsoever in Thailand, and I am feeling a bit responsible for the bat now, I would ask you for advice.

Kind regards,

10-24-2014, 09:57 AM
A warm welcome to the forum! I have moved your thread here, as there is already a similar discussion on this section. Please have a look at this previous thread: http://www.animalforum.com/showthread.php/227650-Injured-baby-animal-what-should-I-have-done?highlight=baby+bat Yes, the circumstances are a bit different, but I don't want to repeat similar advice. Please read all the links I posted on that thread.

Please do not attempt to touch a bat in Thailand without wearing very thick proctective gloves, with thin medical gloves underneath. See http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/12/05-0613_article

I share your concern for the bat, and many blessings to you for caring, but sadly you could not adopt it, keep it as a pet, or even keep it in your hotel room. Bats are wild creatures. You could, however, put down a little food for it - try some fruit, or any already dead insects you can find.

10-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Thank you. I think the situation might have solved itself. I saw and heard no sign of the bat as I went to check on it now.
Already touched the bat, as I said. I carried it in my hand for maybe 20 seconds. It's not a fruit bat, though. It was tiny and black. It also did neither bite me, nor defecate or urinate on my hand. Should be fine, I guess?

10-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Yes, all should be fine. But to ensure that no body fluids (e.g. saliva) got on to your hands, throughly disinfect them, plus any items you have touched (e.g. door handles, taps, TV remote controls, etc.). For absolute safety, you could also ask a doctor to do a blood test.

I'm glad that the bat recovered and has flown off. Thank you for caring. You have a kind heart.