View Full Version : Warning: xylitol can be deadly for your dog

07-01-2014, 03:54 AM
I recently had my attention drawn to an important health warning about the danger for dogs of xylitol - a natural sweetener used in many everyday products. I urge the caretaker of any dog to read this: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/06/27/xylitol.aspx

07-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Thanks for highlighting the issue, dear Peter.

It's actually very good stuff, for humans at least. So with increasing calls to reduce sugar intake and less sugar use in manufacture, its likely to be a lot more common in our kitchens & larders in future.

07-02-2014, 07:54 AM
I've heard about this... The article explained the issue very well. What interested me the most was the "why" it is bad. In some species, including humans xylitol causes no little to no insulin release, in dogs, their systems process xylitol very quickly and causes insulin to release rapidly causing the the blood sugar to drop to dangerous and deadly lows. Another reason to read all those labels well. Always make sure the snacks you give your animals are safe.

07-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Thank you for this information about Xylitol can be deadly for your dog. This is very important tips for all dog owners like me and we really need to warn about this. I will tell my friends about this.