PDA

View Full Version : Royal Hypocrisy?

knightofalbion
02-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Prince William has come under fire for going shooting shortly before he is due to launch a campaign condemning illegal hunting ...

Rather a mixed message. The 'Stop killing animals' message may be better coming from someone who hasn't just flown hundreds of miles to indulge himself in killing animals for fun!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2554484/Prince-William-flies-shoot-boar-Spain-days-launching-campaign-combat-illegal-hunting.html

LPC
02-10-2014, 04:30 AM
Yes, there is legal difference between illegal and legal hunting - but in view the Prince's love of hunting wild boar, stags and partridge, he does not seem the right choice to be a lead contributor to a conference condemning illegal hunting. It will only expose him to a lot of public criticism (in Britain, at least), which in my opinion he has brought upon himself.

The Royal Family is well known for its passion for hunting. This is not a case of some ordinary citizen killing a few birds or other creatures for food. See this sentence from the article cited by Knight above:

"On a previous visit they were said to have bagged a staggering 740 partridge in a single day."

That is not hunting for food; that is killing for pleasure. So in my humble opinion he is not a good choice of key speaker for this conference, even if it restricted to illegal hunting.

I write this as a British citizen (as is my friend the Noble Knight).

knightofalbion
02-10-2014, 06:34 AM
The main difference as I see it between the legal hunting and illegal hunting, is that for the most part legal hunting (like that indulged in by Prince William and the Royal Family) is carried out by those with a great deal of money and illegal hunting (like that committed by the poachers) is carried out by those wanting to acquire a great deal on money!
Both are morally repugnant.

I'm not a republican, but my allegiance is not to any individual but to that which is true and just. The Royal Family are dishonoured by their passion for bloodsports and if Prince William is to prove himself fit to lead the country, as our King, into the coming decades then I hope he learns kinder, more dignified ways to conduct himself.

knightofalbion
02-10-2014, 06:42 AM
'740 partridge' ...Most of whom will not have been killed on the wing but brought down injured with gaping flesh wounds and shredded wings to be finished off on the ground, without a tinge of conscience or regret from those pulling the trigger.

It says little for the hearts of such people who find pleasure in hurting and destroying defenceless creatures.