PDA

View Full Version : My Heartbreak

veelicious
02-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I had to get my dog put to sleep today, it is the first time I have ever experienced this. The reason I came to that decision is because I wanted to put an end to her very painful suffering.

I was always led to believe that dog euthanasia is a calm and peaceful process so I decided to stay in the room with her.

However, there were complications as once the needle was inserted into her vein, she panicked and started to strugggle, the blood went all over the place and she was screaming, I mean really screaming in agony.
Then the vet placed another injection in the other leg and the same thing happened, then we were asked to leave the room so they could complete the procedure. We could still hear the screams from the waiting room.

Now I really regret my decision I feel responsible for the additional suffering she had to go through. This was the most heart breaking thing I have ever had to witness and I hope I never have to go through it again.

I'm so sorry, its too difficult for me to write anymore about it, I just wanted to make people aware that these "peaceful" procedures don't always go to plan so it is something you should consider before making that painful decision.

My only comfort is that my beloved Dima will no longer have to suffer anymore. RIP Dima xx

celtechfarms
02-05-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm so very sorry to here about this. When we had to have our Shilo put down, our vets removed her from the room to insert the IV shunt, then used the shunt to put her to sleep so this would not happen, so for us it really was a very peaceful process. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, espically in this way.

emily
02-05-2009, 06:15 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a very difficult decision to make, but when our pets are suffering, I believe it is the right one.
I'd like to assure you that what happened isn't normal, usually they pass peacefully, although, unfortunately, occasionally what you experienced does happen.
When I had my Ollie put to sleep, he growled and cried through the entire process, but I just held on to him and tried my best to comfort him. I know it was the best thing to do for him.
I hope you can take comfort in the knowledge that your dog knew how much she was loved, and she loved you back. She isn't in pain anymore, she's at peace.

onthink
03-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Very sorry to hear that. Be strong, it will be fine after a while.

healing07
06-30-2009, 05:28 AM
I m very sorry for your loss. I know its very hard time for you. Dogs are our bets friends and we needs them. They are very honest and doing all work. I understand your feelings. But this power is in Gods hand. We are nothing against God power.
Be strong and look forward.
God Bless You.