PDA

View Full Version : Sweet itch

Mackie
01-15-2009, 04:33 PM
So, the sweet itch season is gonna be back before we know it... Which is making me mad just thinking about it. My poor Aubrey's tail is only starting to look like a proper tail again, as opposed to a bald, scabby bog-brush!

Not that I care about how he looks, I just want him to be comfortable and happy, and not trying to scratch his skin off all the time.

I've got his excellent fly-buster rug at the ready, his think-fly is on it's way, which I'll start putting in his feed as soon as it gets here. I've heard that Vicks vapour-rub will keep flies off of him (If he'll let me get near him with it that is!) So, I'll be getting him some of that.

Does anyone have any other ideas to help me stop it before it starts this year? I am determined not to let it escalate out of control this year!! Poor old Aubrey... I hate sweet itch! :evil:

If anyone has any advice at all, I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks.

celtechfarms
01-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Have you tried tail wrapping? A good quality fly spray should keep the flies off and placing him in a pasture that is electrice fenced will eleminate the ability to rub on the fencing.

Mackie
01-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Tail wrapping is something I've considered, but never actually tried. Fly spray never seems to do the trick, I've practically drowned him in the stuff before, he still gets flies attacking him. So hopefully the thinkfly will be more effective. It didn't work last year, but I think I possibly wasn't giving him enough. He's a big lad, after all.

He's in electric fencing outside, but as soon as he comes in he goes straight to the wall to rub and once he gets that fat arse rubbing on the bricks he can have himself bald and bleeding in minutes. I think wrapping his tail up when he's inside might be a good idea actually. But it still won't help his back and shoulders.

Hmmm.... I'll have to think of something brilliant, coz I can't let him suffer again! I feel so guilty!! It's been the last four or five years that he's endured the torment from about March/April-October! It's so awful for him. I'm determined to nip it in the bud this time.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. :)

celtechfarms
01-17-2009, 09:50 PM
So you've done the fly sheet and the spray have you tried the diet suppliments, umm...garlic I think they suggest, don't quote me, its been years. Our show and race horses we spring sheet in the summer, a light weight comfortable sheet, keeps the bugs off pretty good. I find roll on War Paint fly repellent really good, maybe you could do spot treatment down his spine?

Mackie
01-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I've never heard of the "war paint" fly spray, I'm wondering if it's available where I'm from. I know that they've made any products with citronella in them illegal here now... Isn't that the stuff that actually repels the flies? :roll:

Argh, I'm dreading summer! I hate winter for the rain, the ice, the endless mud, the freezing wind, the massive amounts of mucking out to be done... But summer is even worse... it's just flies and mozzies and midges and insects, and heat, oi! Can't bear it. At least it's dry though, that's one good thing. (Dogs stay clean on walks, yay.)

Anyhoo, thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. Thanks for the garlic reminder, I've been meaning to order some. :)

celtechfarms
01-19-2009, 11:27 AM
War paint is a roll on stick like roll on deoderant, but with fly repellent, its made to be placed around the eyes, ears and face where regular flyspray can't go.

Mackie
03-21-2009, 03:28 PM
So far so good! Aubrey's looking better than he has in a very long time, mane and tail-wise. I'm hooooping that we're managing to nip it in the bud early enough this year, but the amount of midges that are around already is disheartening...

I'm DREADING him starting to itch, absolutely dreading it!!

He's such a cutie!!

Here's a piccy of my gorgeous lad. :P

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq269/nospecialfeatureshere/aub06-1.jpg

Mackie
04-06-2009, 03:19 PM
I saw him scrat for the first time today... And so it begins. If his mane and tail aren't there when I get there in the morning, I am going to be heartbroken. :cry: