PDA

View Full Version : To feed or not to feed

Susan Matoi Hawaii
01-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Every once in a while a beautiful pigeon like this one lands on my doorstep. It has a tag on one of its leg and looks like a homing pigeon. Is it okay to feed them or is it best to just leave them alone and let them rest and get their bearings. They tend to leave after a few days. Susan Matoi Hawaii

http://buzznet.com/~65bad54

knightofalbion
02-15-2013, 08:40 AM
The poor thing is either lost or exhausted, or perhaps even both. By giving it some food you will help it build up its strength and energy and, if it can, find its way home.

Where there is a choice - always choose kindness.

bhawk
02-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Misguided kindness! The animal is a trained working animal, by feeding it you can be interfering in the animals training. Leave it alone, it can find food if it needs to.

Susan Matoi Hawaii
02-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks for your replies. Did you see the other posting with replies from David & Toni regarding this topic? For some reason the “To Feed or Not to Feed” post separated into two separate postings. But we sided with not feeding these homing pigeons because food source is abundant here in Hawaii and easily found by these birds. They also arrive plump and healthy looking, and rest for a few days and then fly off. I have sources of water for them via lawn sprinklers , a plant irrigation system, and a water fountain on my deck which I’ve seen other birds drinking from. I did find a website where you can report lost homing pigeons using the numbers found on their leg tag, but that raises another issue of whether one can catch these birds to read the tag without stressing it and causing more harm than good. Also, please rest assured that if any of these birds arrive injured or ill, I will seek profession help for them. Susan Matoi Molokai Hawaii