PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way I can get my parrot to be more active?

kidword
02-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I have a Meyer's parrot that's lived with me for the past 3 months. He's a lovable little guy, likes hanging around on my shoulder and talking to me. But there's one problem.

He's starting to get fat. I lowered the amount of food I feed him, and it's been a month and he's still fairly pudgy. I think it's because he's not super active. I now parrots of the Poicephalus (I know I probably didn't spell that right, bite me) family are more laid back, but this guy literally prefers to sit in his cage, on the back of my chair, or on my shoulder than walk around and explore. I love him to death, and I've given him various of toys for him to play with, but he wont touch them. I don't mind him sitting on my shoulder watching me and interacting with me, but I don't want to lose my loving bird to obesity.

As for food, I feed him plenty of a variety. I give him his pellets (ZuPreem Flavor Blend) as well as apple slices, pieces of carrot, Cheerios, coconut rice (my favorite dish, share it with him all the time), and blueberries. So, I don't think the food is too much of an issue.

(NOTE: And for the record, I give him plenty of out of cage time, if I'm home and in the room, his cage is open and he's usually out. but not wondering around much. Just perched wherever he feels like.