PDA

View Full Version : Puppy missing teeth

mbrisky
07-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post here and really appreciate any input you have.

A stray German Shepherd puppy with no tags wandered through my yard last week and I've been keeping him until we can find the rightful owner. He is a well-trained, well-behaved dog no older than a year. My question is this -- he is missing the four, front upper teeth. This seems very strange. Another thing is that one lower tooth seems to be misaligned. Can anyone provide any guesses as to why he's missing these teeth? I don't know if a dog of his age will be growing new ones or if they are mature teeth that are just gone.

As much as I'd like to keep this dog, I know somebody is missing him very much, so am making an effort to find the owner. I am just curious about his teeth.

Thanks,
Mark

kerryclair
07-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Are there any marks around his face/lips? As if he was injured or kicked?
Dogs DO lose SOME teeth, but not usually all the front at once, that is very, very odd.

mbrisky
07-31-2004, 03:21 AM
KerryClair, thanks for your message.

We finally found the dog's owner! We received word from our next-door neighbors that he was missed by a family down the street. He turns out to be a 10-year-old German Shepherd / Sheltie mix. I named him Sangha, but his real name is Ranger. They are a loving family, so I think the teeth situation isn't from abuse. They are very happy to have him home!

Thanks again to the forum,
Mark

kerryclair
08-02-2004, 12:44 AM
Mark that is GREAT news!!!
GREAT news!
Ten years old is an old dog, so he could have just lost his teeth from old age.
How wonderful that you cared for him until they could be reunited.

Great story, this made my day!