PDA

View Full Version : Grooming... ? Help

laddiecat
09-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Hello,
I am trying to groom my Great Pyrenees\Maremma dog, nicely and trying to get his coat to shine.
My questions are: What should I feed him to get his coat nice, what should be his main diet? What sort of brush should I use?
Help...

celtechfarms
10-01-2008, 04:54 AM
Great Pyrenees don't normally shine, but your new change in food is going to spoil any attempt you make for a few weeks. Any good change in dog feeding habits causes the dog to shed out their old coat and bring in a new one, which means for a few weeks your dog will most likely look really shaggy. After that, and I add it can take up to 6 months, you'll see a noticable difference. I suggest talking to your local groomers about good coat products, I know Mane and Tail, its an equine shampoo, is excellent for improving coat. As for feed, eggs seems to be the popular one for producing great coats in dogs, just make sure your feeding proportionally proper amounts for your dog and his new diet.

laddiecat
10-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Well,
He is a higher percent of Maremma than he is Pyrenees, so being Maremma, he has a self-cleaning-coat, which will shine, and it is healthiest that, (only if they are living in a dirty enviorment, which Pete is) that they get a bath only maybe once a year, or two. Not that it is healthy that ANY dog gets very many baths a year, but especially Maremmas.
I haven't fully stopped feeding Pete kibble, but I just feed him half and half, will that make much a difference in his coat? I brush him normally often. And Pete sheds easily...
Um, I don't have any "local" people in general around here, let alone groomers, being that I live WAY out in the wilderness.
EEEEEEGGGGGGSSS? Eggs will help improve his coat? I never knew...

celtechfarms
10-01-2008, 07:26 PM
The half and half may make a difference, but it will take a couple weeks to notice if there are noticeable effects. As for eggs, yes, eggs are good for the coat, as are, I believe but don't quote me, fish oils? I think.

laddiecat
10-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Are eggs good for cats' coats too? Because I wouldn't try to feed it to them, without your yes or no, because Alex's coat is not so, how to put it, pretty...
I know from a start that Pete has always loved eggs! Should it be a part of the diet? And feed it to him raw, cooked? Partially cooked? How much egg?

celtechfarms
10-04-2008, 01:12 PM
As I understand it, eggs are good for the coat of just about any canavour, but don't quote me, I tried emailing our member who is the raw feeder, I'll see if she writes back to give some advice.

laddiecat
10-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Thank you Celtechfarms...

Tishawn45
01-06-2011, 02:12 AM
You'll need a slicker brush, a metal pet comb, a pair of nail trimmers, I prefer the scissor type over the guillotine type, a small pair of ball tipped scissors, a small tub of styptic powder, called quick stop, in case you make a nail bleed, and some ear powder.