PDA

View Full Version : Dog wont eat raw meat...

laddiecat
09-15-2008, 09:38 PM
My dog will not eat raw meat. We try to feed him rabbit, but he wont eat it, just takes it far away and burries it... How can I get him to eat raw meat???

celtechfarms
09-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Some dogs just wont, espically if they're use to kibble or cooked meat . As a rottie breeder once said to me, its a lesson of tough love, keep offering it, but offer nothing else, when he gets hugnry enough, he'll eat it. Only put the food down for fifteen minutes in an controlled environment so he can't run off with it. Eventually he'll eat.

laddiecat
09-16-2008, 04:06 PM
So just give it to him and nothing else? But he is a Great Pyrenees\Maremma, so he is already skinny enough, skip feeding him for one day, and your afraid he's gonna die!! What now? Really, you can't skip feeding him for one day.

celtechfarms
09-17-2008, 06:52 AM
Dog's are actually designed to skip meals, they can go alot longer without food then we can, however you will find that he most likely wont go the full day without food, and if he does he'll very unlikely refuse the second day, when he gets hungry he will eat. The other option is to feed BARF instead of RAW. That is, you cook the meat your trying to feed him instead of giving it to him raw, its the same diet for the most part except its cooked, its more time consuming and you need to add a few things because it losses some of its nutritional value, but its basicly the same diet. Trust me, your dog wont die or disappear with one missed feeding, just cause he's lanky doesn't mean he's starving.

laddiecat
09-17-2008, 05:40 PM
The thing is, we are trying to feed him raw meat, because we are butchering our own animals, and our friends do the same, and they were telling us about grinding up, and feeding him the leftovers (head, fur, etc.). And so I was wondering how I could get him to eat raw meat.
Just wondering are you a vet? Because it seems like it. :?:

celtechfarms
09-18-2008, 07:19 AM
LOL, oh gosh no, but its funny you should say that cause people keep telling me I should be and my in laws call me their vet, they call me before they call the vet. I just have 28 years of animal expericance, I have had abuse cases and health issues, and trained by some of the best equine trainers and dog handlers around here, I'm actually and Equine Science honnors student. However I have been in your position, where my dogs refused RAW. I went to my rottie breeder and asked them as that is what they feed exclusivly. He looked me in the eye and said simply, its tuff love, you offer them RAW and RAW only and when they get hungry, they will eat. They wont starve themselves its against their nature, and its in their nature to eat meat.

Some dogs simply wont eat freash meat, some will insist on it having sat for a day or two, it depends on the dog.

Thank you for the compliment and good luck.

laddiecat
09-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Thank you very much Celtechfarms for all of the information, I hope Pete starts eating raw.
Thanks again!

celtechfarms
09-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Okay, here are a couple of the links here, you'll find more under this Care, Feed, Training topic board
http://www.animalforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2056
http://www.animalforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2177

Sorry it took so long, have a few things going on in my life here and I think I'm going cross eyed looking at all the stuff I've been having to look over recently. Hope it helps.

Heather

laddiecat
09-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Thank you sooooooooo much for the advice Celtechfarms,
I really thank you; Pete is now eating raw, all thanks to you! :D

celtechfarms
10-01-2008, 05:49 AM
lol, thank you for the praise, but your the one who cared enough to switch him over and stuck to your guns on the feeding nothing but despite his not wanting it. Its hard sometime to watch our animals refuse what we know is good for them. We just want to give in to make them happy. I'm glad it all worked out for you!

youbetcha1018
10-17-2008, 03:34 PM
This is that time where you need to decide if you're willing to tough it out...or not.

Raw feeders will tell you to offer the food. If they choose not to eat it, put it back in the fridge and offer it again at the next feeding. I know of cases where people have done this for as long as a week. No healthy dog will starve itself to death if food is offered - but they may show you a test of wills like you have never seen before.

Like I said, this is where you have to decide how tough you are going to be. I personally am a total softie with my picky dog and he gets away with a lot more crap than he should.

One thing you might want to try is turkey. Some dogs just plain don't like chicken. Also, you could try ground meat and see how that goes, then transition. Or, perhaps very, very lightly cook the meat and slowly cook it less and less until you get to completely raw. It's all up to you.

laddiecat
10-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks, Peter is eating raw, and he sure didn't get away with burying it! :roll: Silly dog, in fact, today I gave him half a squirrel, that I had shot and fed half of it to Laddie, my black cat, and Pete pretended he was going to actually eat it (he hates eating the whole thing fur head guts and all!), and then when I wasn't looking, he buried it!!! I dug it up and buried it, since it was going to be just a treat anyhow, and Laddie sure wasn't going to eat the whole thing!!
Thanks again!

pinkcircles
05-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Hi why dont you cook it?

hershey20
07-29-2011, 06:41 AM
A raw food diet is not just good for you - itís also good science! You donít have to take our word for it, have Ďfaithí or trust the latest nutrition guru.

tylerjones553
09-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Hi why dont you cook it?

raw diet is a natural diet which help dogs to get healthier coat, good teethes or over all a good health.

ntn103
07-20-2012, 11:51 PM
I also have such problems. now good enough. : D

russelgrane
08-03-2012, 08:00 AM
My dog will not eat raw meat. We try to feed him rabbit, but he wont eat it, just takes it far away and burries it... How can I get him to eat raw meat???

Dogs love meat, I think they might be not liking the way you serve them or the way you feed them. Give them blue buffalo, I am damn sure they will love it like other dogs do. My dogs were facing same problem, then I switch them to blue buffalo.

slingshot538
04-13-2013, 04:47 AM
Download your pet sitter or dog walker services companies in United Pet sitters Professional Pet Sitter Directory Access, you just join our party. Now one time included membership fees minder list for your pet, walking, dog shit or collect Pet Sitting business. We reserve the right to increase the fees in one day of the year for the songs we ever see the relevance. in This time, there is still no new fees - the list will remain free indefinitely. All members receive all of the items listed on the form & Pet Sitting Business Start-Up Kit, Including pet sitter / walker type, information from pet dogs, / dog walking Stool check / Doggy Daycare / pet sitting contracts, promotional materials, and much more to help you get your new pet sitting business off to a great start.

jessewills
05-17-2013, 12:59 AM
some dogs are hard wired to not to eat raw meats like humans. So instead you may give him some treats with some really delicious treating recepies and make his day with those. I also collected more info on that and happen to land on to a blog which suggested great ideas for dog treat. You may like that and may follow it. you may read that here (http://www.pharmqd.com/blog/top-10-wholesome-dog-treats)

bhawk
05-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Some dogs are not "hard wired" to refuse raw meat. Diet is often an imprinted behaviour. I see it often in other peoples falcons...someone will feed a falcon exclusively DOC's then wonder why it wont readily accept quail, duck etc...
Celtechfarms was bang on the money, a dog will not starve itself and will eat anything if hungry enough.
Personally my dogs are on a raw meat diet. They get half a rabbit each every day (on the bone, with small amount of fur...the fur scours the intestine, clearing it of worms) but they always have dry food available too. Mainly because, while rabbit is good meat, it does not contain everything an animal needs. No diet should consist of only one thing.

As for dogs being designed to skip the odd meal, this is also true. One day a week my dogs go without food, except for one egg cracked into their bowl...the egg gives their coat a wonderful shine..but thats just my preference.

PaulLovesPets
05-30-2013, 04:04 AM
A raw food diet provides dogs wilt their nutritional requirements in the right proportions, without the need for supplements and vitamins. The transition to raw food can be difficult for dog owners.

jessewills
06-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Even i tried to feed my Lyka pet with some raw meats but it seems that he dislikes the smell of it and knows beforehand that raw meat has entered into house. So could you advise on this? Suggestions would be great!

lovemypets4life
07-31-2013, 11:41 AM
try putting some nutra drops in his water it might help him want to eat the raw food. I buy mine at myholisticdogfood.com

bhawk
08-01-2013, 03:03 AM
Ok, im intrigued, explain how drops in the dogs water will encourage it to eat a different diet?

vizz2010
12-22-2013, 11:47 PM
thanx for info

jessewills
12-30-2013, 06:43 AM
try putting some nutra drops in his water it might help him want to eat the raw food. I buy mine at myholisticdogfood.com.
thank you much of this advice. I will try to give him raw meat with nutra drop and also i will visit this site which is given by you.

Kaja
01-03-2014, 04:54 AM
Don't worry, a lot of veterinarians don't even recommend feeding your dog raw meat as it can contain bacteria.

ohhpet
01-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Hello! What breed is your dog? Feeding a dog depends on many vecez race, get advice upon it. On our website you have information of every race if you wish, you are welcome. :)

jessewills
05-27-2014, 10:46 AM
That's all okay with your pet. Some dogs actually don't eat raw meat as they are not habitual of it. They are more used to have cooked or baked meat. If your pet really denies every time while you feed him raw meat, I think you should give up on it.

BriBri
07-02-2014, 03:28 PM
What type of RAW meat are you suppose to feed them!?

LPC
07-03-2014, 03:11 AM
Firstly, a warm welcome to the forum. Please visit the introductions section to say hello to members. What pets do you have?

Regarding your question, I suggest that you read all three pages of this thread carefully. I cannot comment personally as I have never given any dog raw meat.

aaronwatson
07-17-2014, 12:42 AM
If you want to feed your dog with raw meat, you should remember some special considerations before feeding raw meat. Feed dog with raw, meat only if your dog is perfectly healthy. You need deworm your dog regular monthly. Wash your dogís bowls every day. Put the raw meat in the freezer more than 48 hours. But for me, I donít recommend to feed the dogs with raw meat.

LeonilCraig
04-17-2015, 11:20 PM
What type of RAW meat are you suppose to feed them!?

You can give any kind of meat but you have to check if the meat you buy it good for your dog.

Tobi
04-22-2015, 02:23 PM
It's quite natural for dogs to eat raw meat. But some may refuse it if they haven't been used to eating that before. I think the secret with changing a dog's diet is it must be done gradually. Or -as one poster suggested, leaving the food until it has been eaten. A normal healthy dog going without food for one day will not harm it at all. (Not the same with water however. Fresh water must always be available.)
But although it won't harm the dog to eat offcuts of meat from butchering, and offal, I do not agree with letting them eat the fur. Even wolves spit this out as far as I have seen.
Raw bones are a lot less dangerous than cooked bones. But also be careful of sharp bone splinters in the meat which might be swallowed without being chewed. They could cause serious internal injury.

I also saw a veterinary video recently of a dangerous blockage caused by a dog eating raw Turkey necks. The bones in the necks had not been chewed properly (dogs just don't have grinding teeth!) -and the most horrendous mess was pulled out of the dog's oesophagus under general anaesthetic. If that surgery hadn't been performed, the dog would have died most horribly. There were lacerations of the oesophagus, but fortunately no rupture, which was very very lucky.

Edwards
09-14-2015, 03:23 AM
Feeding your dog raw meat is a dangerous practice anyway. I wouldn't worry about it too much. What I'd recommend you to do is cook your dog a homemade dog meal with rabbit meat. I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of recipes online.

LPC
09-14-2015, 04:50 AM
I agree with you, Edwards. Cooking also reduces the risk of worms.

lalawoof
07-05-2016, 08:24 AM
Is really a raw meat is good for the dog? Honestly I am not use to give my dogs a raw meat to eat. I give them a cooked food, and they love it.

petty254
01-05-2017, 04:51 AM
Itís important that you be extremely patient when making the switch. Once youíve put the raw meal in front of your dog, walk away. Let him figure it out. Give him about 15 minutes or so. If he hasnít eaten it yet, simply (without emotion) pick it up and put it away. Provide it again at the next meal. If your dog still refuses, continue this process until he or she caves in and decides to eat it. Donít worry, youíre dog will not die. No dog will intentionally starve itself. When they get hungry enough, theyíll eat it. I think the longest Iíve heard of a dog refusing to eat is around ten days. Now this is the extreme and is probably not likely for most dogs. Iíd guess the average to be anywhere from 1-3 days.