PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Euthanasia Controversy

trider
08-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Bureau of Land Management officials are currently considering euthanasia as a method of controlling wild horse populations. A final decision on this issue is expected sometime in late fall of this year.

The Bureau of Land Management manages wild horses on public lands. The BLM has employed round-ups over the years to control mustang populations. The horses are then taken to holding facilities where they are made available for adoption. Close to 50 % of U. S. mustangs (not counting privately owned animals) are currently being held at these facilities. The western states have recently faced severe drought conditions, which may have led to increased round-ups in the name of range preservation, or even to keep horses from dying of hunger and thirst, but fewer horses are being adopted, and keeping them at holding facilities is expensive.

Animal welfare advocates do not agree that drastic measures are needed, and believe that there are alternatives to euthanasia, including birth control technology. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is currently making an online form available to enable concerned citizens to voice their opinions regarding wild horse management policy at ASPCA.org.

Two of the gentlest, sweetest horses I have ever known were mustangs. Both were good kid horses. Im not saying all mustangs will make good babysitters - individual dispositions vary, like any other horse. Properly trained mustangs can make fine riding horses. They are tough, athletic horses and tend to be easy keepers, an important consideration in these times of high feed prices. I would like to encourage those of you who have ever considered adopting a mustang to check out the Bureau of Land Management Horse and Burro Program website. Horse trainers interested in getting involved might also want to check into the trainer incentive program offered by The Mustang Heritage Foundation.

Submitted by J. R. Wise, author of Give a Horse a Second Chance: Adopting and Caring for Rescue Horses. 8/2/08

Readers are welcome to copy this post

celtechfarms
08-04-2008, 06:18 AM
You know, I've looked at the BLM websites, the amount of horses they are now selling online and the prices they go for, you can buy a mustang for only 125 dollars a piece, in some cases more, but many times not. Around here there is a ton of land for sale, if I had the money, in an instant I would buy that land, perimiter fence it and buy as many of these desperate lovely horses as I could and bring them home. Issues being, getting the land, the distance the horses would have to travel and the cost of the transport. It would cost some where close to 15000 just to get a transfer truck shipping company to ship. Its costs like that, that stop people from being able to help.

trider
08-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Tell me about it. My daughter and I have six horses and four stalls - though they do have a large run-in horse porch for shelter besides the stalls.

Don't have the money to bring any more home right now. We would if we could.

celtechfarms
08-04-2008, 06:03 PM
There has been an intresting option that has been mentioned to BLM and other land managment groups and that is that many torusts come to North America to see our wild horses and perhaps its time we took advantage of our wild herds, keeping them wild to make a living. We do it to Africans with their elephants, lions, and rinos. Also to us Canadians with our grizzlies, wolves, and polar bears. Why not Americans and their horses, take people out to see the wild horses instead of killing them. I wish they would it annoys me when a person says do as I say not as I do, and that is exactly what is happening with the mustang.

Leena
04-12-2009, 09:28 AM
I agree with this. I am from Finland but if I traveled to the States (and I have family there so that would not be so unheard of) I would love to see wild horses. We have none of those here.

Being a horse artist Id probably just drool over the possibility of taking reference photos for paintings - and maybe even good enough photos to use as art themselves.

So a "horse safari" kind of thing would definitely make me very interested in participating!

Leena :)