PDA

View Full Version : Please reply, very worried about my dog!

luna7801
07-09-2004, 05:40 PM
I have 2 year old female german shepherd. She hasn't eaten or drank in a little over two days (as far as I can tell). She recently vomited a white fluid. She is still fairly active though. It's been over a hundred degrees outside this week and she refuses to drink water, even after playing fetch for about 20 minutes. She just came in and laid down, didn't drink water. She is an inside dog. I have tried mixing canned food in her bowl, chicken broth, rice, switching bowls altogether, switching rooms, and hand feeding. I even added a little broth to her water with no luck. I'm very worried. Money is limited so I want to be sure it is an emergency before I take her to the Emergency Vet. We just adopted a puppy 3 days ago and she hasn't eaten since he came. Could the arrival of the puppy affect her so much that she wouldn't eat or drink at ll? The puppy is a 4 month german shepherd male rescued from the shelter.

kerryclair
07-09-2004, 06:09 PM
There are so any issues here I am not sure where to start. First if you can not afford medical treatment for your first dog, you should probably not have brought a second dog into the household. Yes I know that has probably instantly ticked you off, but here you are describing to us a VERY SERIOUS and possiby life threatening issue and you go online to ask people what could be wrong rather than being responsible and taking your pet immediately to the vet - or calling them to ask what THEY think! They won't charge you for the phone call and they might be able to help you make a better decision for your pet than a bunch of internet users that may or may not know what they ar talking about.

Your dog sounds like it is suffering from heat exhaustion or exposure. 100 degrees + is not the time to be playing 20 minutes of fetch with an older dog, and the fact that it weon't drink and is throwing up when it comes in is a very bad sign, quite frankly. I would imerse the dog in cool water, or take a cool wet compress and apply it to the face and neck area to start...but all of this are moot points.

It has either passed or escalated since you posted..
Hopefully it passed and your pet is ok.

Let us know.

luna7801
07-09-2004, 06:52 PM
I suppose I should have made myself more clear so that I didn't sound like an irresponsible pet owner. I can afford medical treatment for my dog, she receives excellent medical care. I just don't have a lot of money at the moment. I did not adopt the new puppy. My sister, who is spending the summer rescued him from the shelter and is taking him home to her ranch. I wasn't looking for a diagnosis from internet users, just advice. Being that it's a weekend, I called the after hours vet care and they said that my dog is under stress due to the new puppy. I was only looking for a second opinion onlin because I am worried. My dog has had the tendency to not eat when new animals are around or when we are traveling. I just haven't seen her drinking. That's not to say that she hasn't drank at ll. My sister said she drank while I was working today, I just haven't seen it. It has been very hot this week, but when we played fetch it was 6 p.m. after it rained and fairly cool by then. Also, she is an inside dog and does not spend a whole lot of time out in the sun. She only goes out for about 10-20 minutes at a time, except for walks or fetch. I have made a second call to the after hours vet and inquired about heat exhaustion/exposure and was told that she would be lethargic, which she is not. Sorry, for the long post, just wanted to defend myself a little. I will be taking her to the vet as a precaution when my sister comes home and can look after my daughter. I am not a dog expert. Could heat exhaustion really have affected her if she only goes in the sun for very short periods? Also, can a new puppy really affect her so much that she would not eat at all?

kerryclair
07-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi Luna,

I am glad you clarfied. I apologize for jumping to the wrong conclusion. I just get frightened when people come here for serious medical advice. I imagine them sitting in their homes clicking REFRESH to see if someone answered! After years of doing this - BELIEVE me that is not a stretch!!

To answer your post - yes, in teh heat it is VERY normal for some dogs not to want to eat. One of my own dogs needs to be coddled and cajoled into eating when it is hot or I swear that critter would starve himself to death! It is not so normal for them not to drink though. Usuaully they will consume a lot of water when hot. Again, my strange dog will only drink fresh, cool water though and perhaps your older dog has started to get fussy about that. Try offering (or having your sister offer him) some fresh water - in other words, refill the bowl 3-4 times a day with fresh, cool water. That may intice him. My old guy won't drink warm water anymore...or only very little of it. I know...I know...he is making me nuts.

Anyway, he COULD be reacting to the new dog and being upset about it, but I would bet it is more likely the heat that is getting him down.

Yes, heat exhaustion would DEFINITELY be accompanied by lethargy and a desire not to move...and possibly even an agitated or aggresive (growling or baring teeth) if you try to interact with him (even very friendly dogs can get grouchy and snarly when suffering from this). If your dog is not lethargic at all, then it would probably not be the heat. ..although yes, heat can affaect her badly (especially if she is old), but mainly if she is running about in it.

Yes, too, that the puppy could also be stressing her. Does she have a place that she can go that the puppy can not bother her? If she is not "over it" within a few days I would ask the vet again to check her blood levels. It would not be normal for her to be THIS upset for this long.

Keep us posted, please!
I have been thinking a lot about your critter....