PDA

View Full Version : my dog's leg

laurakltj
05-26-2008, 08:46 PM
My dog is favoring his leg. He will walk on it and he does not yipe or bark when we touch it. Is it ok for me to give him people ibuprofen? or should I take him to the vet

celtechfarms
05-27-2008, 05:20 AM
If hes not showing pain I wouldn't bother with the pain killer, theres a dosage post at the beginning of this section on what pain killers can be given though. I would definatly call your vet, your dog may have a high pain threashold and maybe just not making any noise but be very badly hurt, my rottweiler dose this, she cam be in terrible pain and dosen't make a sound, we know when she yelps its bad. Get him in and get him looked at and see what your vet says, that would be my suggestion, and for go any pain killers until he is seen as the pain killers will forego the vets ability to medicate by an entire week.

laurakltj
05-27-2008, 09:33 PM
thanks for the info we are taking him in tomorrow

ritabooker
05-31-2008, 08:01 PM
I think I remember reading that Ibuprofen is not good for dogs. Aspirin is safer, but like celtcech said, be sure to check the dosage chart. I keep doggie aspiring around, because the dose is calibrated for dogs, and I can just use it according to the dogs' weight. Let us know that he is ok.

QaqaCattleDog
02-09-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't think giving medications such as painkillers is not a good idea. You should go to the vet first before doing any self medications.