PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for an animal shelter?

Lissy86
03-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Hello everybody,

I'm new on this forum, and I have a question.

I'm a trainee at the animal shelter in Rotterdam. This shelter wants to create an event for the animals, that increases the chance of finding a new home for the animals. They don't want an open day, because this provides too much stress, especially for the cats.

I was wondering what kind of activities for animal shelters you know?

If someone knows a way to involve an animal in an activity, that doesn't cause stress please let me know! The shelter gladly wants ideas that give good publicity.

I'm very curious for the answers!

Lissy

celtechfarms
03-10-2008, 05:38 AM
There are lots of ways to get the informattion out. Around here there are Adopt-A-Thons, the most adoptable animals are taken outside to pens where people can see them without bothering the animals inside. Our local SPCA profiles a different animal a week in our Sunday paper which is a free paper that goes out with the flyers, the add is placed for free by our local paper. There are also dog walks, sponsors are gotten to raise funds people bring there pets and go for a walk through the streets of town, no adoptables are brought out but its a great way to raise awareness.

Lissy86
03-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Thanks for your reply! The animal shelter in Rotterdam would like to organise an event that is new in the Netherlands. They already had dog walks and advertising in local papers. I'm not sure if they already tried an Adopt-A-Thon. If someone has other ideas for me, please let me know!

Lissy

DogMom
03-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Our shelter "features" an animal on both television and the radio (both companies donate the time). One or two animals are taken and talked about on the shows and then people will call or come by the shelter to meet the animal and they either adopt that one or end up adopting another on that they see.

And in my personal opinion, the more people who come through and look at the animals is going to cause a lot less stress than no one ever viewing them. Of course it'd be stressful and scary on them if they only see or feel a person once in awhile. It should be done regularly to get them used to people.

Lissy86
03-17-2008, 05:50 AM
Normally at this shelter, people can visit the animals. But there were too many visitors during an open day. At least 2500 people came to see the animals. That caused too much stress, and some of the cats still needed treatment for illness, caused by stress, months after the open day. Showing some animals on television is a good idea, especially when the companies donate the time. But most times, people make a choice that they want the dog from the television. If this dog already found a new home, the people often donít want a second choice dog. This is a good plan in case there is a dog in the shelter that already stayed there for months without finding a new home. They already tried this, but thanks for your reply!

Lissy