PDA

View Full Version : Tumor

celtechfarms
02-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Well all, I've been relitivly quiet lately, Dakota, our old male shepard lab mix has developed a growth on his side. It started as a bare patch the size of a quarter and slowly grew into a mass or open tissue the size of a golf ball, half protruding out of his side. Its yucky all. So after four vet visits and rounds of antibiotics it has been determined that he dose not have a cyst, but rather a tumor and the drugs are doing nothing to help him. Tomorrow he gose in for blood work, next week he gose in for surgury.

Dakota will under go major surgury on his side they will be taking approximatly a 5 inch diamiter chunk of skin off of his ribcage, that includes the tumor, and then stich him back up, massive piece of tissue. The tumor will be sent to our local vet collage UPEI and will be biopsied. I can tell you I'm very nervous, this is very stressful, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is all benine and he'll be alright, did I mention its also very expensive, *sigh* why do the free dogs cost the most amount of money? Anyway, heres my question to you all, and I take all suggestions. Jade wont leave his side alone, and niether will Allana, it facinates her, so we've put a tee-shirt on him to keep both the dog and the baby away from him.

Short of keeping him out of the livingroom and away from the kids, dose anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the kids away from the dog? We know hes going to be in a lot of pain, but hes also use to being with us all the time, not locked out of the livingroom, he cries when he can't get in the livingroom, even when I'm sitting four feet away from him. All suggestions welcome, thanks all.

countrychic10
02-26-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this....I hope all goes well and that the tumor is benine.

Are these human kids messing with him?? How old are they?? Mine are 2 & 4 and with Chloe they had a hard time understanding that they couldn't touch her hips because she looked fine.

We sat them down and explained they she was sick and hurt and they coulcn't at on her like they used to. Them to emphasize this we played "Doctor" and had them help me take care of her (bandaids on her ears..silly tings like that) and for mine it kid of helped bring it home that she was in fact sick and hurt. Chloe was bad enough that a lil' threat was given as well....if they went against my wishes they were banned completely from playing with ANY of the dogs and would have time outs as well. I know that may make me sound Harsh but Chloe was in terrible pain and there wasn't an option of the kids not listeneing to me. Thankfully I never had to carry through with the threat and they were very helpful in taking care of Chloe....

And yes...the free/cheap dogs always cost more. Blue was $68 from the shelter and through the span of his life cost us over $5,600.00 :shock: Then there were even necropsy expenses after he crossed the bridge....but I tell you...he was worth every penny and we would do it all over again without regret.

Good luck to you and your family.....hope this has a good outcome for y'all.

celtechfarms
02-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks Country, yeah the kids are 1 and 4 and I'm sure I can keep my four year old from him, but my 1 year old loves to poke at him, so far he has been very tolerant, I'm thinking I'm going to have to keep him behind the babygate. Unfortunatly when we took him in tonight for his blood test, which by the way he was so good and patient during collection, he was pushed ahead in the surgery list as our vet is very unhappy with the way the tumor has developed in the last week. So tomorrow morning he goes under the knife to have the tumor removed, hes at the vet now and will be coming home Thursday night. I feel awful for him, the tumor broke while we were doing the collection, he laid on that side, and he ended up bleeding everywhere. Even my vet thought it was terrible while she was cleaning up the chunk of tissue that had torn off of him.

So hopefully we'll have some answers soon and in the next week or so we'll have our happy healthy boy back. I'm guessing that in Dakota's 6 years we have spent at least 3 or 4 thousand dollars on him. My mom told me to just put him to sleep but I was insulted, told her he healthy, hes happy, he just has a tumor and until I know he has cancer I will do everything I can to make him 100%.

celtechfarms
02-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Well they sent Dakota home early, he was tearing himself up in the kennel, funny how the calmest dogs make the most hyper recoveries. Anyway, now he's laying in my kitchen half asleep on a blanket with his head in one of those big collars, he looks so unhappy, but at least we know he's healthy now. Vet tells us we should have our biopsy results by the beginning of next week. In the mean time hes back in our care. I love that my vets trust me enough to let me look after my own animals recoveries.

celtechfarms
03-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Well our biopsy got back. Dakota had a soft tissue sarcoma. They think they got it all, but wont know for sure for a while. So no cancer, thank gods and stitches come out on the twelth. I swear this dog has never been happier, he actually wants to play and rough house,its getting difficult to keep him in active, its so great to see him like this again, its been years since he acted like a pup. Even Jade is acting differently around him, shes stopped mothering him and now is inticing him to rough house, all really good signs in my eyes espically when she wouldn't leave the tumor alone. So life is starting to get back to normal and everything seems to be going well and I'll let you know how the stitch removal goes. Right now he looks like Frankinstines monster so I really can't wait for that part.