PDA

View Full Version : Sugar glider named Joey 1-4-02 to 6-5-04

sweething852002
06-17-2004, 08:15 PM
I had lost my sugar glider not too long ago. His name is Joey. One night I had been awakened by horrible cries of pain. I jumped out of bed to see what was going on. As I got closer to the cage, Joey tried to run and hide. I then saw a trail of blood behind his tail. I hurried to pick him up and to my surprise I had done experienced a nightmare of all glider owners, Self- Mutilation. His penis was hanging out and it was of a purple color. I don't know if that was bad or not. Also his bladder was hanging out. It looked to be enlarged and it was veru bloody. He couldn't stop bleeding. There were no vets opened at 2am in the morning that specialize in gliders. I had no choice but to take him to the ER. Me and my dad rushed the the ER. I held him close to me crying. I knew the worse was to come. When we got there a girl behind the counter looked at him to see what was going on. Then another asistant came to diagnose the problem by looking at Joey. She said it looked like his bladder had prolapsed and she didn't know what the long thing was til my father told her it was his penis. She thought it was his intestine and was surprised to know there were two. Really it's one, its just forked. Any way. We waited a few minutes, being the only one there, till the doc called us back. She didn't even know what it was other than the bladder being prolapsed. It made me feel bad that no one knew anything about gliders. The only thing I could have done was euthanize him. I gave the doc permission and then carried his body home then buried him the same night in my back yard. Poor little guy was in so much pain. I'm happy he is not suffering anymore. He is at the glider rainbow bridge rope dancing with all the other gliders.

kerryclair
06-18-2004, 01:49 AM
Oh my goodness, what a sad and terrible story.
Is self mutilation common in gliders?
Are you sure he didn't just get caught on something?
What a terrible story.
I feel so awful for you.

sweething852002
06-18-2004, 07:28 AM
I'm sure he didn't get caught in anything. I'm not sure if you could say it's common but I know it does happen alot. Glider reseachers know some of the reasons why they do it. But some mutilations are mysterious. It mostly happens in the males. Females are still able to do it, just less likely. Some do it out of boredom or are too lonely. Some do it cause of pain that they are trying to get rid of. I don't know much about mutilators, but I am learning slowly more about it. There is a death data base that was made for glider owners to fill out after one of their gliders have died. There are also deaths that have no sign. That's something I've also experienced with my first glider. She only lived 9 days after I adopted her. All her siblings died at the store a few days before her. So that place stoped selling gliders. I have to go a long way just to get another one. It's about a 20 or 30 minute ride. Maybe longer depending on traffic

mattea
07-31-2007, 01:13 PM
i know its hard for u but at least he is not in any more pain just put it in a good way that he died that way he doesnt suffer because if will suffer u are makeing your self suffer so just be glad he in a good place right now
just love them while u got them

healing07
07-02-2009, 04:07 AM
First, I m so sorry for your loss. I know this loss give you lot of pain because you love him very much. You should feel better for relief your pain.
There are many grief counseling groups for relief your pain. Their way of talking is very well. You should go to grief counseling.
I pray to God for you.