PDA

View Full Version : My fish are canibals

celtechfarms
11-24-2007, 05:13 AM
I bought an algie eater a couple weeks ago and was very happy, he was healthy happy and did his job great. The fish every once in a while would pick on him, but I would just feed them when I saw that happening to distract them, we feed every other day. Then yesterday I realised he was laying on the bottom of the tank, nothing left but his back bone and his head. My other fish had eaten him, the poor thing. :shock: So now I'm out an algie eater and weary to buy another one *sigh* mean canibal fish.

animalfriend
02-08-2008, 03:03 PM
do you now what kind of fish it is?

TrueHeart
06-18-2008, 01:31 AM
what do you means an algae eater (pleco) right ??? actually this fish didn't like to fight each other but if there are dead fish in the tanks, this fish usually eat it. and dont feed it too much, little food is okay for it

celtechfarms
06-18-2008, 05:21 AM
No, these fish were eating one another alive, they were all types of gold and fancy fish and we could watch them eat the other fishes tails then slowly work their way up that fishes body while the poor thing was still trying to swim. We were down to three when to rottweiler got excited oneday while we were out, jumped up on the stand to see out the window and knocked down the tank, so we lost all the fish that day. We haven't had any since, my fish experiance was not a good one, not sure I would want to try it again.

layla17
08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
If you decide to start a new tank, then I would be extra careful to match up fish that are social. Sometimes you just get a bad luck of the draw and get the one who decides he wants to eat everyone else.

youbetcha1018
10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I agree with layla. Try to match fishes in your tank, in this case they won't fight or eat each other.

laddiecat
10-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Yes, this is very true; if you don't match social fish, they will begin to fight to the death. Betta's are great examples of this, they always will fight with even eachother, so never put bettas in with other fish, because they are not social... At ALL! We, when first raising fish, put our betta in with our other fish, and our betta killed almost all the rest of the fish.
Laddiecat

upatreekitty
07-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I have 2 of the same type of cichlids and they attack each other. I'm wondering if putting more in there will alleviate the attention on each other.

IlovePets
11-22-2009, 01:42 AM
I have 2 of the same type of cichlids and they attack each other. I'm wondering if putting more in there will alleviate the attention on each other.

Cichlids are likely to be aggressive with each other if you happen to get two males, which I donít recommend as one will harass the other until he gets sick and dies. Otherwise they tend to be peaceful. But if you are going for Cichlids, better to start with female fish.

Gary99
01-19-2010, 08:59 AM
My turtles ate my fish once! :(