PDA

View Full Version : Sick puppies after adopt-a-thon

DogMom
11-11-2007, 05:48 AM
I'm so ticked right now. I took 4 of my 7 pups to the adopt-a-thon yesterday. Two of them got adopted (one black one surprisingly). Anyway--so I brought two of them home. They left spunky, jumpy, happy little 6 week old puppies and came home scared to death, shivering in the back of the cage fur balls!! One hasn't eaten since he came home. Neither one made any noise all night. The paper in their cage is still mostly dry, except a little water around the water bucket.

I take these pregnant dogs on to help give them a better life and when the pups are ready to go, I put them up for adoption. Only to get them back and have to almost re-socialize them!!! It's so aggravating.

celtechfarms
11-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Wow, poor things, there so young, its a shame they have to go through such tramatizing events at such a young impressionable age.

Arazante
11-11-2007, 06:49 PM
That's terrible. What happened? Too much touching? Noises? Poor little babies.

DogMom
11-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Maybe it's just me being paranoid. I lost an entire litter of pups earlier this year to lord knows what (the only symptom was death). Seriously--I checked them three times a day and they were strong, healthy, good color, wiggly little things at night and they were dead the next morning. The vet said mom was healthy, no milk issues, but I started bottle feeding anyway and they were still dieing. So it was pretty freaky for me. I lost 17 puppies within a week, just one after the other. Then I lost half a litter to coccidia. Then 6 of 8 to parvo. Then I called it quits. So this has been my first litter since March. So maybe I'm just being paranoid. I'm sure it was a pretty freaky day for them. They're home now (but I've got them still separated from the rest of the litter just to be on the safe side). Lord knows what they may have brought home with being touched and held all day long at the adopt-a-thon. They are eating and playing now though......had to get a double dish cause they kept knocking the water dish over. Nothing like walking into the kitchen in your bare feet to step on ice cold water.

Guess I was just upset about the whole thing. They just looked so depressed and everything and then when they wouldn't eat or play I freaked out. I put them on Albon anyway--just to be on the safe side. I've brought pups to adopt-a-thons before and they came back with something. Albon is the cure-all for me. LOL

countrychic10
11-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Poor babies....hope it's just stress and they'll be fine and happy agian soon.

Arazante
11-12-2007, 11:39 AM
I can imagine it must be tough being handled and stared at all day by big crowds. I get nervous myself in large groups of people and being touched or looked at by them would probably make me very weary or scared for a while. I always felt bad for animals at county fairs because of this.

madclive
09-17-2011, 07:46 AM
A post of sheer quality, many thanks for sharing your thoughts with the community.