PDA

View Full Version : Bad Shoulder?

celtechfarms
11-07-2007, 04:31 PM
My turn for some medical advice. Jade our rottie, has taken to jumping our large baby gate, that is large by length not hight. Today she jumped it to see 'nan' when she came to visit, then back over it to go lay on the couch. Since then she has been whinning whenever she lays down or moves against anything. So I took her aside as Jade never ever cries about anything, if she's crying she's in serious pain. So I ran my hands over her stomach first as she kept laying down then sitting up with a distressed look on her face, but nothing in the stomach, but when I started on the joints, her right shoulder being the first I touched, she screamed in pain and rushed away from me to my husband. He coddled her for a minute then started petting her, very gently brushing his hand over her shoulder and she continued to whimper as he did.

Now she's not limping at all, or favoring the paw in anyway, just whines as she lays down or leans on the couch or is touched on that shoulder. I'm leaning towards a muscle strain as the joint dosen't seem to be bothering her. What do you all think. I'm about to put her on Asprin for the pain, but I wanted all your opinions first.

DogMom
11-07-2007, 07:14 PM
I agree, sounds like just a sprain--especially if she's not babying it in any way like it may be broken. She may have simply twisted wrong on a landing and with the cold air, it could be making it worse. I would try the Asprin and give her a day or two of rest and take her in if she shows no improvement.

celtechfarms
11-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Thats what I was thinking too, I actually told the vet that that was the plan, when I called to get the correct dosage for her. They we're a little put out that I wasen't bringing her in right away, the new vets working at our clinic don't trust me as much as the old ones do, and the new receptionists treat me like a first time dog owner everytime while the old ones just take my word as law and trust me as if I was working there myself. Hmm, maybe the new ones should learn from the old, lol.

P.S. shes starting to limp now, but she's been laying around all night too.

DogMom
11-08-2007, 04:51 AM
LOL I know exactly what you mean. I love my vets and receptionists. They are all so wonderful. Even the first time I had gone in there they treated me like they had known me my entire life. And when I went back to school the doctor would let me in on things and ask me what I thought and show me how to do things. They are great.

Anyway.......yeah, she could be stiff from laying around. Just keep up with the Asprin and maybe try some physical therapy with her. Help her move and stretch the joint (without over doing it and pulling the muscle).