PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this?

DogMom
10-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Been wracking my brain for two days trying to figure this one out. I'm hoping to get an approval to take her to the vet tomorrow. But wanted your guys' thoughts too........my foster dog had this rash kind of pop up out of nowhere. It doesn't seem to bother her much--she itches at it a little bit but no major non-stop itching, no digging or chewing. More of an occasional lick really.

Think it's a yeast infection?? Is that possible? She's been on antibiotics for about 4 weeks now (Albon for Coccidia, Clavamox for Pneumonia and now Clav again for a bladder infection).

celtechfarms
10-24-2007, 05:10 AM
Looks like a bug bite allergy. I've had dogs with that. Skin sensitivities espically to bug bites. I can see a few really badly welted up ones in the picture. Dose she have fleas or are there biting insects where your at?

DogMom
10-24-2007, 04:11 PM
She had this small hard to notice rash on the inside of one leg about a week and a half or so ago. I assumed it was fleas--c'mon, she IS a shelter dog after all. Anyway--so I put a Frontline on her and she stopped itching and biting at herself. Haven't seen a flea on her or the pups since I put it on.

Did a skin scraping today on my lunch break. It was my first skin scrape but my boss thought it was a really good sample. But she said she didn't see anything in the sample like mites. She didn't even see any dead fleas. Other than some broken hair follicles (probably from the scrape), she didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I'm gonna give her a bath with Head and Shoulders. If it's yeast, or many other diseases, the sulfur will take care of it. If it's a staph infection, the antibiotics she's on for the bladder infection will clear it up.

Hmm.......just so weird.

Arazante
10-24-2007, 05:02 PM
That looks kind of irritating, a little painful, too. I hope the Head and Shoulders work.

DogMom
10-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised she doesn't itch at it at all. She just licks it a little bit. It looks really painful to me too.

I'm certain it's just a yeast infection. I'm going to start weening the pups here shortly so I can put cream on her. Otherwise gonna use a medicated shampoo and just rinse her off really well.

celtechfarms
10-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm going to give you a link that might help you now and in the future, it dosen't cost anything to join, just put in that your a vet student in training when you register. Its an awsome site for reserching stuff like this and there is a ton of stuff on dog dematities (sp) issues. http://www.ivis.org/signin.asp?url=/home.asp

QaqaCattleDog
02-09-2012, 07:52 PM
I suggest you buy ointments to lessen or remove those skin abnormalities. Did you go to the vet already?