PDA

View Full Version : Ugh....people drive me nuts.

DogMom
10-15-2007, 05:42 PM
What an interesting day. It certainly was a Monday. I'm beginning to wonder if I take animals too seriously or what.

So a lady adopted two dogs this morning. The one had been there about 4 weeks (we normally only allow 21 days). Anyway. So she adopted these two dogs, which had me slightly concerned to begin with because she adopted both of them in hopes that they'd entertain each other. Well, right about closing time she shows up with both the dogs to return them. And why??? Because the one jumped the fence and the other dug under it.

Had one guy adopt a dog about a month ago. He returned it today, because she was pregnant.

Had a lady return her dogs today, three of them. Said she couldn't afford to buy Science Diet food anymore and her vet said they would suffer health wise if they ate anything else. Her vet said SD was the BEST food out there and since she can't buy it anymore, she can't keep the dogs.

Had a guy bring two cats today.......because his dog chased them and he didn't want to give up his dog.

Had a lady return a puppy she adopted awhile ago.....first she said she didn't have the money to have him neutered. Then later she said she just didn't want to do it because it would put the dog through too much pain.

A guy returned a dog because it chewed up a pack of his cigarettes. He claims he's had the dog for 5 years and it never did that before. But he won't own a dog that wastes money like that.

Had to put a dog to sleep today. Absolutely wonderful little dog. Okay, wasn't a little dog--he was a yellow lab/bull mastiff mix. He was absolutely gorgeous. He knew every command and followed them out before you even finished. I mean, you could said SI and he was on the ground sitting before you could add the T. If you talked to him, he'd bark in response. But when you stopped talking, he stopped barking. He was surrendered originally because he climbed the fence--that was his only downfall. I wanted this dog and hubby and I were considering him--there were two that we loved but we couldn't have them both so we were just kind of waiting it out.....hoping one would get adopted so we could just up and grab the other. Anyway. Well, the new worker (my supposed partner) screwed up someone and put this (intact) guy in with an (intact) Rottweiller and a female WHO WAS IN HEAT!!!! The dumb idiot put all three of them in the same fricken kennel!!!!! So, had to put this beautiful, well trained dog to sleep because he was deemed aggressive.

That was my last straw right there. I nearly broke down with that one and I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it.

People are pathetic. Just absolutely pathetic.

celtechfarms
10-16-2007, 07:20 AM
I know the feeling and a day like that tests the limits. I'm sorry to hear about your very bad day and that truely bites. Around here any dog deemed agressive has one last chance and that is to enter perminent foster, meaning the dog can not be adopted out and the rescue takes full reasponsiblity, its the way our rescue obtained ty, we weren't allowed to adopt him out, so we put him into perminent foster. Around here the excuses are so routine;

Oh, I'm going off to school and can't take him
Oh I'm going to school in the city and he wont be happy
I'm getting a devorice and can't keep her
I've devoriced and don't have time for her
I work eight hours and its not right to have a dog and work long hours (this is my favorite, get a life, most of us work 8 hours)
I'm moving and the animal has to go TODAY!
I'm moving and the animal has to go with in the next two weeks or I'm euthing them
I'm having a baby
My nine year old kid who has never had allergies is suddenly allergic
My new relationship dosen't like my animal so he has to go instead of my new partner, even though I've had him for 8 years and my partner for 2 days

The list gose on. The sad thing is, I can go to our local online classifieds, and find any number of these excuses in the classifieds ads, and people wonder why I get so pissed off. And around here, dogs are money, cats are disposible, any mix breed around here will sell for at least $125 and up, and if you can make a cute name for them you can sell them for at least $1000. My all time personal pet peeves,

Laberdoodles
Buggs
Goldendoodles
Chiweenie
Cockapoo (Isn't that a type of bird?)

I'm shocked they haven't come out with rottendors, Poxers, or Huskwilers yet, as those are extremly common mixes around here too. People drive me nuts too, errrr.

countrychic10
10-16-2007, 11:11 AM
It is sad and maddening at the same time the way people think of animals as "items" to be cast off or throw away at a whim :(

And Celtech...the whole designer breed crap drives me insane too!! One of the Dane rescues here just got 2, 6 month old "Great Doodles" ...Yes..you guessed it. A Great Dane x Standard Poodle cross. :x

One of the bigger Great Doodle breeders out here are selling pups for around $3,000 depending on size and coat!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Due to this crap, my new favorite saying here lately is "PEOPLE SUCK!"

celtechfarms
10-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I serched the internet for that one and couldn't find it, a great dane poodle mix is one that has yet to arrive here, but get a load of this, this pives me off !!!! http://www.idog.biz/endorsedGuide/CommentsIndiana.html#Anchor-Hickorydoodles-44867 This website makes laberdoddles and other poodle mixes out to be a type of purebred dog, a hybrid they call it, claiming its not a mutt, but it is soooo much a mutt. I just want to reach through my computer and strangle this idiot!

celtechfarms
10-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Okay, googled it, and all my gods, do these people think these dogs are cute? I kind of think they look a bit homely myself, and $5000 !!!!!! Who pays $5000 for a dog!!!!! I thought I was insane looking at a $2500 rottweiler from Germany! And sadly in my serch I also came across my worst fear, a rottweiler Poodle mix breeder, ugh!! They call it a rottle!

Sophie
10-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Wow, I never knew shelters where so brutal to work in... :(

I've never worked in one, but that's only because they don't need workers, and there's only one around here, and it's too far for me to go everyday. I've volunteered there though, and was so sad to see all the animals.

The one good thing around here is that the animals don't get put to sleep after a certain period of time, they just keep them until they get a home. It's really a great shelter, with lots of volunteers and all.. I get so heartbroken going there, though. I would want to buy all the animals. XD Honestly, the first time I went to volunteer we only stayed a couple of hours, with the cats, mostly, and there are two of them I almost cried when I had to leave them. They were so adorable, one was a small Siamese cat and the other one, not sure, but they would purr every time I walked by them. I'm not sure if they're still there, but I really hope not. Those two really deserve loving homes. Most animals do stay there for months, though... It's a small place, so not that many animals go to the shelter, but there's also not a lot of people to buy them...

And... 5000$ for a dog!? That's really insane, honestly...

DogMom
10-16-2007, 06:53 PM
So we had this guy come in this morning to tell us about some new cleaning product he had to sell. He says the stuff will kill 99.9% of all diseases--like parvo, distemper, lukemia, yadayadayada. In fact, it'll even kill the AIDS virus!!!!!!

It's SOO strong it can kill all these diseases and then some but it's safe enough to spray into the kennels with the animals still in them and not cause any harm to the animals. You spray the stuff on and go........animals can go back in the kennels without having to rinse the cages or let it dry or anything. But it's SOO safe that the FDA says if it's sprayed on food, it's still safe to eat.

So I'm already iffy on this stuff. His presentation was just pathetic.

But then later he says that when we're cleaning, it's very very important that we NOT inhale the mist. AND make sure it does NOT get on your skin.
Because for both, it will cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns.

So I simply asked him to explain how it can be so safe to spray on and around the dogs but not safe to inhale or get on our skin?

He asked me why he would be there if he didn't feel the stuff was as safe as he says it is.

A bit annoyed and in a joking kind of way, I said because you're a salesman. He accused me of calling him a liar and walked away.

I brought it up to my boss and he said it must be safe because a lot of other shelters and vet offices use it. He said he knows others use it because this guy showed him a list of them.

It sounds to me like this stuff is too good to be true. And doesn't the old saying go something like "if it's too good to be true, it is?"

And, really, what does this shit do that bleach doesn't?

He asked this guy the same question and the guy said because it uses less product, it's faster and easier and because you can leave the stuff in the kennel and it'll continue killing germs and bacteria for up to 7 days (as long as it doesn't get rinsed off).

My boss bought this. Okay......sure.........BUT he said if it's inhaled or gets on the skin, it can cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Does that not apply to the dogs?

Again, boss's response was "well, other shelters use it."

Yeah, he "knows" other shelters use it because this salesman gave him a list of previous customers.

Three officers and I have a combined 60 years of working with animals and NONE of us have ever even heard of this product. Yet, the guy claims he's been selling it for over 15 years. You'd think, between 4 people working in two dozen states, one of us would have heard of it.

He said I'm over thinking all of this. All I want someone to do is explain to me how it can cause burns to humans but be completely safe to the dogs?

I'm not the only one with the concern though. I thought I was but when we were alone, two officers said the same thing. One said the guy was nothing but a typical conning sales man and the other said the stuff will kill all diseases and hopefully won't kill us in the process!!!

Ugh--another day in paradise.

celtechfarms
10-17-2007, 06:38 AM
I'd ask for the phone numbers of some of those refrences and call them while he's standing right there in front of me.

mattea
08-03-2008, 07:54 PM
people realy need to stop and think realy hard before they adopt or buy an animal because that is just ridiculous enough dogs are suffering every day we dont need to put a dog down or take it back to the pound just because it chewed up a damn pack of ciggerates i mean my little brother messed up a whole pack of my moms ciggerates so what is she supposed to do put my brother to sleep or take him to a foster home :cry: dont get a dog and expect it to be as good as gold if you get a dog it is part as your family its its like your own child only its hairy and smelly and sometimes lives outside but all im tring to say is that if you get an animal love it dont take it back or misstreat it in any way :x

BECAUSE WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND :!:

youbetcha1018
10-21-2008, 08:41 AM
I am sorry to hear about your bad day. But I can say that those people who adopted dogs then returned them after finding out some problems with them are weak. They easily give up, they should think hard before adopting pets and take them seriously. Anyone thinking of adopting pets, must be ready in everything that comes out from adopting a pet.

celtechfarms
10-21-2008, 09:51 AM
I agree, but I also believe that many rescues seem to only want to adopt, they don't bother with home checks, refrence checks, or even to match the dog up with the owner. There are truely times when the owner and the adopted pet don't match, at which time it is often better to return the pet then to ruin them with bad or neglectful treatment.