PDA

View Full Version : Zoos and Aquariums

Arazante
09-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Hello all,

I'm going to write an article on the differences between zoos and aquariums, as well as some reflections/opinions on each- including animal care, purpose, education, politics, and how they've changed over the years.

I want to know some of your opinions on how you feel about zoos and/or aquariums and if you know any legal technicalities behind it such as:
Do zoos/aquariums receive proper funding from their governments?
Do most zoos/aquariums follow the legal minimum care required for animals- if no, which zoos/aquariums do you know of or have visited that have shown poor animal care or have not met the legal restrictions?
Do you have kids or siblings or parents that you take to the zoo/aquariums- If so, which ones and for what reasons?
Do you feel there is a significant difference in how animals are treated and represented within zoos as compared to aquariums?

Any other thoughts you have are very much appreciated. :)

DogMom
09-04-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure if zoo's have legal requirements as far as feeding goes. I considered giving a local zoo one of the wolves that got brought into me for fostering. I was talking to the lady at the zoo and she told me that with their wolves they are fed Science Diet for three days, then meat for one day and then they aren't fed for three days, are given meat again, not fed for three days and then start the Science Diet thing again. I'm sure they have their reasons for it but I do not approve of Science Diet and wasn't keen on the fasting thing so I chose not to give the wolf to them and also refuse to support them by visiting.

I have looked up other zoo's in my state too by google searching "(state) zoo's" and it would bring up a list of zoo's in the state. All of them that I looked at actually give quite a bit of information about the zoo as far as how they operate, where the funding comes from, each person's duties, etc, etc, etc. That might be something you can consider.

Anyway--good luck with your writing and if you're comfortable please post it when you're done!!!

Arazante
09-05-2007, 10:14 AM
That's very interesting. I wonder if my zoos do that, too. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll be researching for a while. :P

celtechfarms
09-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Our zoo's and wildlife parks are all out of date with tiny cages that are obviously cages, the tiger and lion pens are smaller then the first floor of my house, about the size of a mini home really, and our wolves though they have a huge pen there is nothing natural about it. The sable island ponies are out in a vast field all day with little shelter and its almost always too hot. I actually hate visiting our zoo's but feel I need to to help educate my doughter about animals and their real natural habitates.