PDA

View Full Version : How come animal boards aren't more active?

DogMom
08-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Just some thing that's been on my mind awhile now. I'm a member of 3 boards like this and none of them are very active. One of them is fairly new but it has 300 some members but only like 20 posts. Even this one has a few thousand members but not very many posts. Why do you suppose they aren't active??? I figured they'd be hopping little websites with how many pets are in the world.

Any ideas on how to make the board more active?

countrychic10
08-30-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm a member of some Great Dane specific boards and they are VERY active. We have Secret Santa's during the holidays, play bingo games and win prizes, obviously lots of topics and such to post in. Photo contest of our Danes each month, a live chat function & a NDR section (Non-Dane related) so folks can talk about whatever from what's on their minds to current events.

I'm on them every day and still manage to miss new post because there are so many. Really were all a close knit group and most of us talk outside of the groups like on the phone or meet up at dog shows so maybe that helps keep things active. Also...lol Dane folks seem to be a bit overly crazy about our furkids so maybe we just have too much Dane chatter to get out. :)

Other than my dane boards I'm on some RAW feeding groups and they are pretty active though to tell you the truth I'm not on them much because I think half of them are mental :) :) :) lol

I was on a few general animal boards in the past but only stayed here on this one because the others were completly dead and had a few members that were regular posters that drove me nuts....lol so this is the only all animal board I'm a member of now.

As far as making this one more active....I have no clue how to do that. Seems the top posters aren't really on very much and a majority of members here don't post at all once they post an introduction.

Either way, y'all can count on me to pop in a chatter away :) lol As if I don't do that enough already :)

celtechfarms
08-30-2007, 04:05 PM
I find in the summer it always slows down, people travel, get out more all the good stuff summer brings. I haven't been on much becuase I have a new baby and a new job, but I'm still here and still drop in everyday. The other moderator last I spoke to her has been busy trying to help out a shelter run by one of our members who just passed away a couple of months ago, so she has been extremly busy. I'm sure it will pick up soon as the months get cooler.

DogMom
08-30-2007, 04:53 PM
If you don't mind my asking, who passed away?? That's terrible to hear. I'm sorry for everyone's loss.

Arazante
08-30-2007, 11:05 PM
In my personal experience, it's because people who join these kinds of boards are often older, mature, and mellow. Whereas, message boards dedicated to entertainment attract younger and less.. tolerant people- causing conflict, which sadly seems to keep the board active and popular. A lot of people who use the net use it solely to troll and make people angry- They don't want to engage in enlightening conversations.

celtechfarms
08-31-2007, 04:25 AM
The lady who gose by Petsalive on this board passed away a little while ago and Kerry has been looking after the shelter since her death, its been very hard and long job for her. The website to her shelter is here http://www.petsalive.com . Kerry has been doing Sara's job since the death, which is why she hasen't been on in such a long time.

DogMom
08-31-2007, 05:53 AM
I wondered what happened to the two of them. I noticed from old posts I've looked through that they used to post a lot.

I hope everything turns out okay. Another rescue group I know puts bulletins up on MySpace when they need to raise some money for transports or surgeries or whatever. This last one they got $150 in about 4 days.

Just thought I'd share that if Pets Alive ever needs help.

countrychic10
08-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Oh no...That is horrible. I had wondered where she had been, I didn't realize she had passed on. :cry:

In my personal experience, it's because people who join these kinds of boards are often older, mature, and mellow. Whereas, message boards dedicated to entertainment attract younger and less.. tolerant people- causing conflict, which sadly seems to keep the board active and popular. A lot of people who use the net use it solely to troll and make people angry- They don't want to engage in enlightening conversations.

Arazante I completely agree with you there. I had joined some all pet boards that were like this and though they were fairly active there was nothing productive or informative going on. Reason I have stayed on this board is because even though it isn't as active as some, everyone gets along and there are no stupid online drama battles. Plus I just like y'all :D

ritabooker
08-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Sorry to hear PetsAlive is gone. Good on Kerry for filling in.
I wondered, also, why we had not seen posts from either of
them in a long time.

celtechfarms
08-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I've known for a while but haven't said anything as Kerry never asked me to. But as she has been around a while I figured I should let you all know, I dropped her a line recently but she hasen't gotten back to me yet. She dose still drop by from time to time real quick when time allows.

BelleKitty
02-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Sometimes these things are just a matter of luck and sometimes it is marketing and sometimes who knows.

As a newbie, I actually prefer when forums are not too dominated by an established crowd... that makes me feel like an outsider because people don't seem to be too friendly to those they don't know (even digitally)... Too quiet of forums on the other hand don't give you anyone to interact with!

brutus954
02-12-2011, 02:11 AM
Reason I have stayed on this board is because even though it isn't as active as some, everyone gets along and there are no stupid online drama battles. Plus I just like it.

madclive
09-17-2011, 07:43 AM
A post of sheer quality, many thanks for sharing your thoughts with the community.