PDA

View Full Version : All vets are closed, i need help about my 7 weeks old kitten

Eskimaude
08-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Please, i'd like serious replies..

My kitten vomits clear liquid, coughs at times( couple of days ago actually). seems dizzy and confused, and refuses to eat and barely drank.
I cant go to the vet now, i just CANT, since all vets around are closed and the only one that is opened is 2 hours away from here.
I need an advice, anything, that could help me helping him.
About the food he eats well, the lady who gave it to me fed him with Cat Chow...and so did i for the first days.
Now, he is on kitten food but hasent eaten it yet.

Thank you.

DogMom
08-25-2007, 05:06 PM
First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your poor kitten.

Second, welcome to the boards.

And the third, I know this is not what you want to hear but your best option is to take the kitten to the vet as soon as possible. :(

What you're describing can be anything from a huge hair-ball to internal parasites to poisoning and everything in between. Unfortunately, if you treat for "this" illness when he's actually suffering from "that" illness, you could aggravate it, making him much, much worse.

In the mean time, what I suggest is to take away all food and don't offer him anything for at least 24 to 48 hours. Not eating will allow his stomach to settle. Vomiting is a natural reaction bodies have to express a foreign substance. So, obviously, there is something in his body (or at least something his body thinks) does not belong there. So, don't offer him any more food and don't force him to drink anything.

I'd also suggest looking in his throat if you can. He may have a piece of something caught in his throat--string, a piece of a bone, piece of a toy, perhaps a tooth chipped or broke off, a hairball, etc, etc, etc. If this whole ordeal started with coughing, it's highly possible he's just got something in his throat. Just like with people, if you cough and cough and cough it will upset your stomach and you end up vomiting.

Other than that, there really isn't anything you can do at home. He needs to see a vet as soon as possible so the kitten can have tests (blood, urine, fecal) and x-rays. Unless you can see something in his throat that can be removed with no troubles (like a piece of string) then a vet is the only person who is going to be able to tell you what's causing your poor little guy to vomit like this.

Again, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but that's the only advice I can give you based on the symptoms you provided.

I am sorry to hear your kitten is sick and I hope everything turns out for the better!

Eskimaude
08-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Ok.

He threw up what seemed to be the last thing remaining to be puked( and it was lots..).
After that, he drank lots of water but still doesnt eat( wich is good if i refer to your reply).
And then..he was a lil better, even a lil playfull.
Now he rests, and i will let him rest and see what happens after.
I will keep you up to date, and, thank you VERY much for the reply!!
Chantale