PDA

View Full Version : Constipation after deworming

DogMom
08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Okay, so at the advice of my vet I dewormed Toby on Monday. His stools weren't the dark tarry color like they had been (no more blood in the intestines) but he still had diarrhea. My vet says only 20% of fecal tests are accurate so he doesn't even bother with them when it's pretty obvious they have worms. Anyway. So we dewormed him Monday late afternoon. He had a good peanut-butter consistency movement on Tuesday morning but nothing since.

Is it possible to get constipated after deworming? I'm wondering if it's not because he was so emaciated and whatnot that what he's eating is just going straight to him. Should I do something or bring him back to the vet??

countrychic10
08-16-2007, 10:57 AM
I've never dealt with constipation after deworming a critter. Usually it's the oposite for a day or so depending on the condition of the dog.

Is there any possibility that he did in fact go potty and you just missed it??

I find it odd that there's been nothing for two days now.

I'd give him a lil more time and watch him very closely, if there's still nothing the a call to the vet to ask his opinion couldn't hurt.

Whats the dog eating?? If it's kibble I would at least expect SOMETHING. Though if it's RAW or BARF all of it might in fact being going to him and not used up in waste. I know my RAW fed pups have a BM once a day or every other day on average. Not near as often as they did on kibble....

DogMom
08-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I thought about the food issue too. I didn't even give him a full wormer dose. He weighed in at 64 lbs but the doc said we'd go with a 40 lb dose just because of his otherwise poor condition. So I expected him to still have a bit of the runs just because of not getting a full-weight dose.

Anyway. He's still eating boiled turkey and rice (because of the tear in his throat from being strangled with the leash). There's got to be something else that won't be so risky going down though. I'm not sure he's ready for bones yet. Turkey or chicken breast maybe. Not much of a variety though.

And no way he went without me noticing. He's not outside without me. I've got him inside with me during the day, except when I take him outside on a leash to do his business and then he's in the crate at night. So I know what's going on everywhere (or if he went without me at his side, it'd be on my kitchen floor so I'd notice it). LOL

He's doing a lot better today than two days ago. He's actually coming when you call him, walking up to be petted and he attempted to chew on a Barbie my daughter left on the floor. So I went out and bought him some toys and he's sitting here smacking the knot bone around right now. So if it is constipation, he doesn't seem bothered by it.

Maybe you're right--maybe it's just because he's getting meat and it's all going to him instead of coming out as waste.

DogMom
08-16-2007, 02:14 PM
I knew the minute I brought it up, he'd go. LOL

I never thought dog poo would "excite" me. What a boring life I lead. LMAO Yeah--but he went a few minutes ago. It was a little hard at first but then it got to a luke-warm peanut butter consistency. And best of all, it wasn't a "knock you out of your boots" smell like it has been. YAH!!

I'd say he's just absorbing the majority of what he's eating. Which is excellent. Maybe he'll fill out and and get more strength. He's still a bit wobbly from being so malnourished. I'll have to see if I can borrow my friend's camera this weekend so I can take pics. All I have is a head shot I saved from his Petfinder listing but it's just a head shot so he looks huge.

celtechfarms
08-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Poor thing, glad he's getting better, is he hairless around the eyes in that shot? Its so great you have him, if I was pet and childless I would so try to adopt him.

DogMom
08-16-2007, 08:11 PM
hehe I was gonna mention the eye thing. Nope, not hairless. Remember in my post the other day I said he had double eye infections? Yeah, the "missing hair" look around his eyes was actually just a glossy look from the flash of the camera because of the eye boogers gooped up around his eyes. It washed away though and I got some Vetrachloracin for the infection. It's a cream antibiotic for eye infections. Kind of a hassle--it's applied every 3 hours--but you only have to do it for 24 hours and the infection is cleared up.

Anyway--long answer short, no he wasn't missing hair it was just the shine from the eye boogers from the infections. But it's been three days now since he finished the cream and he's bright eyed and bushy tailed now. :D

But still a long way from good. I've been walking him and tonight my hubby took him so I had a chance to watch him walk. :( My ACO friend was there too and we both said at about the same time his hips are out of place, no doubt. I had kind of thought that anyway because he really struggles walking up and down stairs and when he goes to lay down he more or less clunks (cause he can't bend properly to lay softly). But when we watched him walk from behind today there was no doubt they're out. Which really sucks. I'm going to take him in and have it confirmed and then go from there. He's still pretty young so I'm hoping they can just be "popped" into place and then with limited movement and proper food maybe the muscle will re-develop and provide the strength for them to stay in place. I'm not sure how this whole hip thing works--I've never had to deal with it before. It's all new territory for me.

A lot of people are telling me this is crazy and I should just take him back to the shelter and "pick" a different one. But you know, after having him the last few days and watching how much he's improved and how awesome he is with my kids I wouldn't trade him for the world. He's just been such a joy and I'm in this for the long haul. I may have only had him for less than a week but he's already part of the pack. As long as I can help it, he'll NEVER see the inside of a shelter again.

celtechfarms
08-17-2007, 05:53 AM
I have met a shepard once that was like that, scary horrible, she couldn't stand up tall, or lay down, I felt awful for her, I was sure she had hip dysplaysia. For a year she wobbled like a drunken sailor every where she went and I wondered why her owners didn't do something. Then some how, I have no idea how, I never liked her owner much, so I never asked what had happened, but I went to work one day and she was walking down passed the stalls as if nothing had ever been wrong, she had straightened up perfectly and wasen't in any pain, looked like she had never had a problem for that year. But my gods that year was a terrible thing.

countrychic10
08-17-2007, 02:06 PM
CONGRATS ON THE POOP!!!! :) lol And yea..I lead the same boring life as you do so no worries hun. :) lol

I was thinking, as far as diet/variey go. With him being injured I can see your fear of bone items this early on but I had an idea passed along from a friend.

She has a tiny lil' Great Dane pup with mega (and when I say tiny I mean tiny...barley 51 pounds at 6 months..Brutus was around 96 lbs at that age)

Anyways, they feed RAW and because of her condition she can't have large chunks and such. They feed all ground foods and for bone items they double grind turkey necks and chicken backs (and occiasionally order whole, double ground rabbit). In the begining though they fed her ground meats and bought bone meal from the health food store and mixed it with her meat so she could still get all the calcium and such that she wasn't getting since she had no bone items at the time.

Since your fella is in such a sad shape you don't wanna push too much on him too soon, the bone meal might be a good option? Maybe mix it in with some ground turkey or something similar?

And BTW- he is a cutie :) I hope your able to get him back into tip top shape soon. So sad the things people do to their pets and then just dump them like yesterdays garbage :(