PDA

View Full Version : First heat - is this normal?

waikato Valuta
07-01-2007, 12:24 AM
My dog has just come on her first heat. She is 6 months old and an a Staffy/pit bull.

My main concern is that her vagina has swollen up to about half the size of an adult fist. It's HUGE. She also has something pale and round poking out the hole.

It's look like it could perhaps be her cervix? Do dogs normally swell quite so much? I could post a pic but it's a bit gross. but if anyone things that might help in telling me if it's normal I will Email or PM them one.

Please help.

waikato Valuta
07-01-2007, 04:01 AM
I just got back from the vet and It is most defiantly not normal.

She will be having an operation tonight to fix things.

Just thought I would let you know, in case someone else comes across this problem.

celtechfarms
07-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Sorry none of us got a chance to reply in time, I'm glad you got her into the vet and that everything will be okay now, hope the operation all gose well, let us know how things are.

countrychic10
07-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Sorry I missed this to ...My first thought was something like Pyrometra, which can be life threatening....there are two times..though I don't remember the technical terms...basically one is internal and you don't really see many signs of it happening and the other is external...

Glad you took her to the vet and things are getting fixed up.