PDA

View Full Version : My cat chirps...

mandababy829
06-25-2007, 12:28 PM
My American Short Hair cat seems to have a vocal problem. He is happy and content...running and playing with his brother. But anytime he tries to meow, it only comes out as a kind of chirp. When he is scared (during thunder storms) or feels like he is in danger (getting wet), he can let out quite a cry but has never been able to calmly meow. He makes the normal mouth motions as if he is trying to meow but all that comes out is a little cackle.

He is also fairly skinny. This may just be us comparing him to his brother (litter mate) who is a very healthy weight.

He purrs very loudly when petted.
He loves his cat treats and eat fairly regulary.
He loves to drink water out of the sink just like his brother.

There may be nothing wrong since he drinks and eats so regularly. At first we thought it was a throat problem but he does not seem to be having a problem when he eats.

Could this be a medical problem or a we just overly worried? :?:

Arazante
06-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Lol. My friend and I say my cat sounds like a duck when he meows. It's not the standard "me-ow" cats are assumed to have. When another stray used to hang around, he was pretty big, but had such a sweet little squeak of a meow, more like what cats are heard to have.

I don't think there's anything wrong with him. If he acts normal and is healthy, then like people, he just has his own distinctive little voice.. however unusual it may be. In fact, I've read cats often chirp when around birds, like a mimicking behaviour.

As far as him being skinny, what do you feed him and how much? And how old is he? On this note, if he is medically healthy, perhaps he's just more weight conscientious. My dad has two cats from the same litter and one tends to eat more than the other and therefore has become heavier.

DogMom
06-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I'm going to agree. Just like people have their own distinct voices, so do cats (and dogs). I can hear one of my dogs bark and can tell you which one it is without having to actually see the dog bark. I can just tell by their "voices".

If the cat can purr loudly than it's highly unlikely that his meow (or lack thereof) is voice-box related. Also unlikely, for the same reason, that he has hearing issues.

If it makes you feel any better, one of my cats (considerably skinnier than the rest) doesn't meow much either. His mouth moves, but nothing comes out. My vet said not to worry about it.

As far as a weight issue--that might be something to have checked out though. It could be nothing or it could be more serious; like thyroid or diabetes. But, then again, it could be nothing more than his needing more protein than the other one.