PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP: Emergency KIDNEY problem

kerrylynne
06-15-2007, 05:16 PM
I am typing about a family dog named Katie who is approximately 8 years old. She is a pointer/aussie mix who wandered up as a stray puppy and has been loved ever since. The problem started on May 19th when another family pet that she loves to play with came to visit. They like to play outside in the yard and in the woods surrounding the house. (Could this problem be linked to an animal bite???)
Katie had a huge lump on the side of her neck. She was immediately taken to the vet who said it was a severely swollen lymph gland on the left side of her neck ONLY (strange?). She didn't seem to want to eat much but was thought to maybe have discomfort from the swelling. Lump was aspirated and was NOT malignant - she had 1/2 degree high temperature. She was given oral and injected Doxycycline and oral Dexamethasone (could either of these cause acute kidney problems??).
Within 2 days, the lump was gone and her personality was almost normal. Then we noticed that she was getting up a little slowly and still not eating much. Went to a new vet who cleaned her teeth and while she was anesthesized, did an x-ray. Found spurs on vertebrae-no arthritis-but that didn't seem to be the problem. She did blood work and heartworm test was NEGATIVE but BUN and Creatinine were both elevated. After one bag of IV fluids, both numbers improved but stayed elevated. This vet prescribed her: Ciprofloxacin, Enalapril Maleate, and Previcox (taken off after 4 days due to vomiting). She also gave us kidney failure dog food but she was already refusing to eat at that point. We are now 10 days into this and Katie still totally refuses to eat (even tried treats,etc.) or drink. The only water we think she is getting is bottle squirted water which mostly pours out the sides of her mouth. She vomits anything we can get into her stomach including the medication (if given seperately, they sometimes stay down). She tries to go to the bathroom - doesn't look like anything comes out. She is not totally lethargic and once encouraged to go outside will prance around and bark almost as normal and is still as lovable as always! She does not seem to be in any pain, discomfort or distress but she does look for grass to eat every time she goes out.
Any advice at this point would be great - we are desperate and the vet doesn't seem to be able to offer any further help since we don't know if it is chronic or acute or even treatable.
I just tend to think that the swollen gland out of the blue and this kidney trouble with no previously noticed indications are rather coincidental - maybe it is just wishful thinking that it is treatable but there is always hope!
Thank you ahead for any advice.

DogMom
06-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, what do you feed her and if it's kibble or wet (canned) foods have you checked the recent updated list of recalled foods?? If she got a bad batch, that may explain the kidney failure.

kerrylynne
06-15-2007, 05:34 PM
actually, just dry food (none under the recall) and all dates were constantly checked when purchased - we were definitely aware of the recall! Thanks for the post, though, as we are looking for anything at this point.

DogMom
06-15-2007, 07:14 PM
There are dry foods on the recall list and the date has nothing to do with it. I seem to recall a recent story about some no-name brand that was found with tylenol in it. But I'm not sure if any have been recalled yet.

But anyway. Hmm......swollen glad in her neck, refusal to eat, lethargy......... hmmmm......how about a thyroid issue?? Has that been tested?? That would explain the swollen gland and the less of a desire to eat.

Or Cushing's Disease. Someone here on the board has a lot of personal info on that, forgive me though, I don't remember who. But this is what I found searching--

In order to understand Cushing's disease, one needs to understand the basics of the negative feedback loop that operates in a normal, healthy dog. The pituitary gland, located at the base of the brain, produces ACTH (adrenocorticotrophic hormone), as directed by the hypothalamus (another part of the brain). This hormone is released into the bloodstream and stimulates the body's two adrenal glands, located near the kidneys, to secrete glucocorticoid (cortisone-like or cortisol) hormones into the bloodstream. Cortisol helps the body respond to stress. It is necessary for life and impacts a wide variety of bodily functions including blood sugar levels, fat metabolism, skeletal muscles, kidney function, nervous system, cardiovascular system, and immune response. ACTH/cortisol secretion is increased due to stress, including infection, pain, surgery, trauma, cold temperatures. When the blood cortisol levels are high enough, the pituitary stops secreting ACTH. When the blood cortisol levels dip low enough, the pituitary secretes more ACTH. The adrenals respond by secreting glucocorticoid hormones in response to the pituitary, just as the pituitary responds by secreting ACTH in response to the adrenals. The net effect is that a mildly fluctuating balance is achieved. This is an oversimplified picture of cortisol homeostasis in the healthy dog.

That would explain both the swollen gland and the kidney failure.

Diabetes would also be a cause of kidney failure. And if I remember right, a thyroid issue that is not addressed in a timely matter can lead to diabetes (not saying you weren't paying attention to your dog--I've read that many animals can have a thyroid problem and never show any symptoms until the kidneys start to fail).

I'm only taking guesses here so I could be wrong. Just trying to help. I can't imagine what you're going through.

kerrylynne
06-15-2007, 07:18 PM
thanks again - Katie is going again to the vet in the morning so I was hoping for some additional info to take along - will certainly bring this up!

gsoul2soul
06-20-2007, 11:25 AM
I wish you all the best... I'm sure everything will turn out WELL !!!

I personally had a very hard 5 weeks... my dog was very ill, but is much better now !!! I wish you same... and this is a great place to be :)

I did a Tarot reading for you... and it reveals that time is for you to be "Strong... but be relaxed, just do your best"

This is going to be a challenge for you that will test you in some way... after all life never goes smoothly for long. Sooner or later a hurdle shows up... Don't worry, just give your best and love her!!!

Change will be in order... but whatever happens, it'll happen for the best.

Love and take care!!!

The cards "Katie" got were:

King of Cups -- Ace of Swords -- Death reversed (just in case you wanted to consult, any book or online site with meaning to cards)