PDA

View Full Version : Need help - Wolf not dog!

Azazel
06-07-2007, 09:27 AM
First, maybe this is not forum where I should post this massage, but I don't have choice. Today, one of my relative give me a real wolf as the present.

I don't know what to do, because this wolf puppy is 20 days old...

Tell me how to care, feed and train this wolf.

I am from Europe, and I need your help....

countrychic10
06-07-2007, 09:42 AM
First of all...wolves are not suitable pets and IMO it isn't kind to try and make them so. There are soo many behaviorial issues that can crop up once they reach maturity. If you are going to keep it it is essential that you find a pro trainer ASAP and work on training and LOTS & LOTS of socialization. I can not stress enough just how important this is.....

On the issue of food.....open up a wolf and it has the same digestive system as a domesticated dog. So what you feed is a matter of personal choice. I am a RAW feeder and believe in a RAW diet for all canines. If that's not your cup of tea then a good quality kibble would work as well.

If you want more info on RAW feeding I'd be happy to help get you started. :) Just let me know.

countrychic10
06-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Wait! Just reread your post...this pup is 20 days old???!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

What the heck is it doing away from it's dam and litter mates?? It is absolutely essential that pups stay with mom for at least 8 weeks....this is where they learn proper behavior and social order from it's parents and litter mates. By this pup being isolated from such a nessesity he is already set up for some awful developmental issues.

I'm not trying to jump your case on this so please don't think that, but is there a wildlife refuge or something similar in your area where you could take this pup???

Is this poor baby still trying to nurse? Are his eyes open? Does he have any teeth?? You may need to get some puppy formula and bottle feed him. He'll need to eat every few hours. I haven't had a pup any older than 3 weeks being off mom's milk or at least formula....

DogMom
06-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah, a 20 day old pup (of any breed) should not be away from mom unless necessary. But there are a lot of places out there that believe wolf pups especially should be removed immediately. Most wolf rescues will take newborns away at 2 to 5 days old and bottle feed them until they are weened and then reintroduce them into the pack. I don't say it's right, but I have heard and seen it happen.

Anyway--I suggest goat milk, not puppy formula. I've seen and heard of way too many problems with puppy formulas. And every wolf rescue I've ever worked at uses goat milk too.

2 of my dogs are wolves and they are treated just the same as the other dogs. One can be a little stubborn but it's just the way she is, not her breed. But I do agree that training and research on the breed is best.

But why do you think it's a wolf anyway? I've had a lot of people try to get me to rescue "wolves" when in fact they are huskies or malamutes or german shepherds or a mix of the three (or others--I recently had some german shepherd and australian shepherds that looked pretty wolfy).

Azazel
06-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm not trying to jump your case on this so please don't think that, but is there a wildlife refuge or something similar in your area where you could take this pup???

No. (I am from Eastern Europe, from Serbia)

Is this poor baby still trying to nurse? Are his eyes open? Does he have any teeth??

Yes, he's still trying to nurse.
His eyes are open.
Yes, he has teeth, they are small... (I will photograph wolf and upload pictures here)

But why do you think it's a wolf anyway?
Because it is. My uncle is a hunter and he knows, anyway he gives me wolf

Azazel
06-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Picture is in low resolution because my digital camera Canon A640 is broken, I photographed wolf with miniDV camera Panasonic NV GS 15eg

http://i7.tinypic.com/6ft9zyv.jpg

When I get some photo camera, I will photograph wolf.