PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a new kitten

lricardma
06-03-2007, 02:39 PM
I just recently lost my dearly beloved cat Sammy who would have been 4 this coming August. He was accidentally run over by a vehicle after escaping from the house unkowingly. Anyway, I was devestated and couldn't deal with the grief of my loss, so I got a new kitten. The problem is, I also have a cat that's about 8 years old. She doesn't want anything to do with the kitten. She hides under the bed all day. Should I leave well enough alone, or should I try to coax her to come around the kitten? She's been hissing at me the whole time. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Arazante
06-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I read a while ago some suggestions for getting a new cat along with one that's been in the house for a while is insinuating postive activities.. like feeding them at the same time so they learn to be in the same room in a calm and positive atmosphere. Another would be playing with them at the same time, like having them chase a string around, a ball, whatever you use to play with your cats.

This would be an overtime effect of course.. whether or not it works is kind of up to your cat, I think. Cats play hard-to-get sometimes, and it can take a lot of patience but I think your cat will come around and learn to accept the new kitten as part of the family. If they haven't been fighting, that's a good enough sign of tolerance.

lricardma
06-06-2007, 04:53 AM
Thank you for those suggestions. The problem I'm having though is that my resident cat has always been a little uptight anyway. I've had her for about 7 years and she still cowers from me a lot. She has been coming out lately. However, she hisses and growls at the kitten, which I understand is normal. If the kitten gets too close, she swats at him with her paw. I'm not sure if she uses her claws or not. At any rate, the elder cat also doesn't play all that much. I attempted to give her treats in the "safe room" where the kitten is, and she refuses to eat them. I guess I can say she's getting better though. I realize that she is stressed out since cats have trouble dealing with changes, and having lost Sammy and bringing in a new kitten so soon can cause her to be anxious. At least she's not hiding all the time now. I have a vet appointment today for the kitten, so I will discuss these issues with the doctor. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond to my initial posting.

PeterNgLH
07-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Thank you for those suggestions. The problem I'm having though is that my resident cat has always been a little uptight anyway. I've had her for about 7 years and she still cowers from me a lot. She has been coming out lately. However, she hisses and growls at the kitten, which I understand is normal. If the kitten gets too close, she swats at him with her paw. I'm not sure if she uses her claws or not. At any rate, the elder cat also doesn't play all that much. I attempted to give her treats in the "safe room" where the kitten is, and she refuses to eat them. I guess I can say she's getting better though. I realize that she is stressed out since cats have trouble dealing with changes, and having lost Sammy and bringing in a new kitten so soon can cause her to be anxious. At least she's not hiding all the time now. I have a vet appointment today for the kitten, so I will discuss these issues with the doctor. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond to my initial posting.

Hi, its been a while since you been back here, has everything turn out better? how is it already?

sharonk868
01-11-2010, 03:26 AM
I just recently lost my dearly beloved cat Sammy who would have been 4 this coming August. He was accidentally run over by a vehicle after escaping from the house unkowingly. Anyway, I was devestated and couldn't deal with the grief of my loss, so I got a new kitten. The problem is, I also have a cat that's about 8 years old. She doesn't want anything to do with the kitten. She hides under the bed all day. Should I leave well enough alone, or should I try to coax her to come around the kitten? She's been hissing at me the whole time. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.