PDA

View Full Version : A silly question about shedding!

mypet
06-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I see that Gugul has started shedding. She is 4 months now. She was dark golden before. Now i am able to see white, black and yellow in her. Assuming that she is a beagle mix, and she sheds every year,will her color also change every year? Or is she loosing her puppy fur and this color will be permanent. Thank you!

countrychic10
06-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I have no clue what the answer to that question would be. :) But it isn't uncommon for puppies to shed their baby coats and the adult coat be a bit different.

I know Danes "blow" their coats when they are adolesants and then their shiny, sleek adult coat comes in. During blowing though, blacks will appear reddish or rusty. They sometimes get a "moth eaten" look about them (first time I saw this I freaked..lol) ...especailly fawns.

My Weimaraner who will be 6 in September changes color during the different seasons. In the winter he is a darker, mouse gray color and in the summer when he sheds his winter coat he's a light, silvery color.

ritabooker
06-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Abby was a very light cream colored puppy. Now she has definite tan colored markings on her back, shoulders, back of legs, ears, and face.

mypet
06-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Thank you, countrychic 10 and ritabooker.

HealthyDogTreats
11-25-2008, 04:12 PM
My dane is 8 months old and she has lost her puppy coat and on to big girl hair. Got to love the shedding!

evanhog
08-28-2009, 03:06 AM
Shedding for dogs is very common. even short coated breeds shed. my dauberman, she is 10 years old and short coated she shed every year, i can help her only by combing her coat with brush.