PDA

View Full Version : Food preference change after Parvo

DogMom
05-24-2007, 02:57 PM
A friend of mine's dog (approx 14 weeks) just got over the hardest (and longest) battle of Parvo I've ever seen. He had acted sluggish and didn't eat much for a few days before his appointment, when he had a very faint positive for Parvo. He spent 15 days at the vet's office on IV fluids but did not make any progress. My friend did not want to put him down but the vet gave little hope of recovery so told my friend he could take the dog home if he wanted to (basically so he could die in peace at home). My friend opted for that and took him home. We tried an herbal Parvo remedy for another 5 days or so but the dog still refused to eat (though he was drinking from a dish at this point). My friend bought a second herbal Parvo remedy and roughly 24 hours after being on this remedy, he started eating a boiled chicken and rice meal. It wasn't much, probably 4 meatballs that first day. But by golly he ate it!! lol

After 3 or 4 days on this second remedy, he was eating good sized meals. On the 5th day or so, my friend had a BBQ and the dog jumped up to the table and took a few raw pieces of chicken from the plate waiting to be bbq'd. lol The dog is and always has been strictly RAW fed--so the raw chicken was a normal meal before the Parvo.

Anyway. He switched the dog back to raw chicken, livers and hearts for a few days (because now he was turning down the boiled meal). My friend had ordered some rabbit before the dog got sick and out of curiosity one night he offered the rabbit to the dog (and he scarfed it down). So slowly he started adding other meats to his daily feed (beef, elk, turkey, etc).

Now, though, the dog won't TOUCH chicken. He has tried everything, drumettes, wings, rib with meat, etc, etc, and even tried "hiding" it in his dish with other meats like the rabbit (which he LOVES). But he will just dig out everything and not touch the chicken.

He offered chicken last night and the dog turned it down. So he offered fresh chicken this morning and I guess when he got home this evening from work the dog hadn't touched the chicken. So now he's skipped two meals. So of course he threw out rabbit and elk and the dog ate it like, go figure, he had missed two meals.

Any thoughts??

Celtich--I was also curious to hear what kind of variety you offer for Brutus. Do you go with one "type" of meat each meal or do you offer a little bit of everything with each one?

countrychic10
05-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Maybe he's burnt out on chicken??? Dunno. Not too long before our house burnt Blue (the Weim) had chicken meals 3 times in a row and then got sick. Obviously I was worried so I took him to the vet. They of course said "Raw diet Bad..feed Prescription Diet" :roll: I said no and based on his symptoms I asked for a second opinion. Turns out the goober ate a coin collection of sorts and they were lodged in his intestine. We had them removed and once he was better he was very put off by chicken for about a week.

No clue if he possibly associated the chicken with the tummy discomfort he had, but I know eventually he went back on the chicken with no problems.

As far as the variety I feed in one meal, it really varies. Yesterday I fed them rabbit halves, but since that was not enough to make up a meal for Brutus I threw in a bit of beef heart in there as well.

So sometimes I offer just meat from one animal and other times I play a mix and match game. For instance, if I'm feeding some fatty cut or pork or something else very rich I usually toss in a chicken back or so and it keeps the stools firm. Any very rich items are always fed with something boney like a whole turkey neck or a chicken back.

ETA- Your post was directed to Cetech but I assumed it might have been a typo since you mentioned Brutus :) If not and I just chatter away for nothing I'm sorry. :)

DogMom
05-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Sorry--retard moment on my part.......I've been having quite a few of those today. LMAO

countrychic10
05-24-2007, 10:04 PM
LOL Dont worry...I stay in a constant "moment" lol

celtechfarms
05-25-2007, 05:25 AM
LOL, yeah, I figured she ment you too Country, since I don't feed raw, I wouldn't know where to start if I did, lol.