PDA

View Full Version : Tying a horse out to graze

wendi
05-23-2004, 12:32 AM
We have a few acres of unfenced land that I would like to tie my horse out so he can graze for a few hours daily.
What is the best way to tie him out safely so he doesn't get tangled in the rope? What are the best supplies?
I can tie him to a tree or a stake in the ground.
We've tried about a 20 ft nylon rope tied to his halter ring and he has gotten tangled up terribly and received some nasty rope burns!

dunappy
05-23-2004, 12:49 AM
There are several different ways, but my perferred way:
If you have trees, you can put a rope in between two trees and put a ring that is big enough to slide along the rope. Then tie the rope so that the snap just touches the ground and hook up the horse to the snap, this way the horse can lay down, or walk along between the two trees and graze.

And a possibly better option all around would be one of those portable corrals either electrified or not that is easy set up and moveable and no need to tie at all.

simplesimonsays
07-07-2004, 04:10 PM
The best and safest way to alow your horse to graze is to go and buy a collasible paddock. with all the money and time you will put in to fixing the rope burns, it is not worth it. spend the money for the paddock, when the horse is eatten all the grass in that area, you take it down and move it. I have had some of my friends have to put their horses down because of tieing their on ropes.

kerryclair
07-08-2004, 05:41 AM
Yeah, I have even seen portable electric fence paddocks that can be easily moved.