PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat attack!

countrychic10
05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Well....it seems I have become a soap opera of sorts! The drama and ups and downs never seem to end.

Last night around 11:30 I let Brutus out to go potty, and run a lap in the yard since he was so hyper. I left the patio door open so he could come back in. Well about 5 minutes later we hear this awful sound like a fight and we though Blue and Brutus were fighting...only Blue was laying on the patio and brutus was out in the yard. We run out and discover Brutus tangled with a bobcat!

There was blood everywhere, and I was of course panicking. I grabbed towels and rushed to the ER vet...We get there, they clean him up and check the wounds: Some good sized scratches, a few shallow punture wounds and then his ear...it looked like the tip had been cut with shears! Only a small cut..about an inch or so long but it would not quit bleeding.

Obviously it's small but it could also use stitches. The ER vet ask about Brutus's shot record I tell him when and where he got his shots (he's completely UTD..just got his rabies on his B-Day). Well..this jerk/idiot of a vet says he won't do any stiches until he gives him a 7 in 1 booster, rabies and bordetella!!!!!!! I say not only no, but hell no! He already suffered suppressed immunity and demodex from over vaccines and I'm not screwing him up more..especially when he's been tramatized. We battle back and forth for a bit and then I just say to hell with it. I get the anti-biotics and pay the $189 bill and go home. :evil:

Got all my Doctoring stuff handy and I clean and bandage the wound again. He hates it and keeps shaking his head...which sends the bandage flying and blood everywhere. I tried taping his ear down to his head and even folded back across his head and nothing works..it still comes loose. Then a friend gave me such a great idea...tape his ears like he's a cropped puppy!!!!!

Anyways..he is doing great now and the wound seems to be sealing up. Here's some pictures of my tape job :) He hates it and is so embarrassed but at least it helps and he'll be okay :)

countrychic10
05-20-2007, 09:56 PM
A few more pictures (they wouldn't all fit in one post)

countrychic10
05-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Well, I took the tapes off this morning and cleaned and re-dressed the wound. There was no bleeding...until the goof shook his head again! :roll: This time though it just seeped instead of poured out by the gallon so theres an improvement.

No fever, bad smell or other irritation so I think it's on the way to getting better. I'm leaving him in tapes for the next 2 days and then I'm hoping he should be good to go without them....crossing my fingers anyways..

Wish us Luck!

gsoul2soul
05-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey that was such a BRAVE thing to do... kudos to you !!!

I'm sure everything will be okay!!!

And wow Brutus looks quite the picture from those "Victorian something 18 century" with those big hair and wigs.

He he he... don't worry things will be okay !!!

And on with my own DRAMA... I was bitten last Wednesday by a "Macaque Monkey" and now going through my own "Anti Rabies Vaccine".

And I guess the vaccine is taxing on me... getting slight headaches and heaviness at the back of my head (supposed to be mild side effects)

Anyways wish me luck too... he he he

Love and hugs... woof woof

countrychic10
05-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey that was such a BRAVE thing to do... kudos to you !!!

I'm sure everything will be okay!!!

And wow Brutus looks quite the picture from those "Victorian something 18 century" with those big hair and wigs.

He he he... don't worry things will be okay !!!

And on with my own DRAMA... I was bitten last Wednesday by a "Macaque Monkey" and now going through my own "Anti Rabies Vaccine".

And I guess the vaccine is taxing on me... getting slight headaches and heaviness at the back of my head (supposed to be mild side effects)

Anyways wish me luck too... he he he

Love and hugs... woof woof

Thanks!

LOL, I think he looks like a reindeer (ya know those fake reindeer headsets they sell for dogs...)! :) My kids (ages 4 & 2) are calling him Rudolph. lol Of course he's not pleased by our laughter at his apperance and is acting quite snobbish towards me today. lol

Soo sorry to hear about the bite and the shot! My gosh! I have never had to deal with that personally but I have heard that the side effects can be pretty bad. Good luck and I hope you get better soon! :)

ritabooker
05-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Poor Brutus, looks like you have him fixed up pretty well. It sounds like he is doing great considering the location and size of the cut. He does look embarrased, but hopefully he will bluff his way out of his next encounter with a bobcat. He's so cute even with his ears trussed up. :)

gsoul2soul, Sorry you are having to go through this ordeal, but glad you were able to get the proper treatment. Hang in there.

DogMom
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
I can't believe a vet would recommend stitching a cat bite. How unreal. I'm SO glad you didn't do it. One of the biggest concerns, especially with cat bites, is how absolutely filthy and disgusting their mouths are. There is such a huge risk of infection and stitching up the wound only increases that risk.

I understand his desire to do his own vaccines too. A lot of vets are like that. My vet won't recognize any shots done personally or by another office either. Mainly because a lot of people will simply take a tag off of one dog, put it on another dog and say that's the one that got the shot. It happens a lot, unfortunetly.

I think you're doing the right thing though. Don't use any kind of healing cream on it (nothing like neosporin). You don't want it to heal too fast (because of the possibility of healing an infection up in it).

countrychic10
05-21-2007, 10:26 PM
I can believe the vet would because he's an idiot! :x

Where is the logic is in stressing an immune system on a tramatized dog is beyond me! Plus, the darn vaccines won't do a darn bit of good if they give them then..it takes time to build immunity, it's not an immediate sort of thing...some vets fail to see that common sense though. Either way, in my eyes, these are my BABIES and I am paying for a service. Meaning the vet works for ME...it will be a cold day in hell before I am bullied into something that I KNOW without a doubt is 1. unnessesary & pointless & 2. Could jepordize the health and well being of my dog....

There is only ER clinic and all the vets use that same one...so if you have an emergency that's your option.

Anywho..sorry for the rant..sore spot for me right now..

As far as whether or not it's a bite or not...we don't know. It looks like someone held up the tip of his ear and cut it with a pair of kitchen shears. It's a very clean cut that spilt the ear into 2 sections. Stitches would have worked but they're not nessesary.

I'm not using any creams, I cleaned it with a saline solution, used some BFI powder....(it helps seal, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and also helps clot the blood...several breeder friend's use it on their cropped puppies.) And then I have some skin sealant that I'm using.

I opened up just the top of his tape job (where the cut is) and peaked in and it's look great, though he may have a tiny nick on his ear when it's all done with. No fever, smell, or sign of infection, so I think wre on our way. I re-powdered before taping (also helps keep the tape comfortable on him) and now he's good to go. I'm hoping by Wed. night I can take everythign down and be done with it...time will tell.

celtechfarms
05-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Wow, scary, glad it all turned out okay. I agree the vet works for you and in the long run, those decisions should be yours. My two head for the vet next month, its been, two years since their last visit, so we'll see how good my vet is when I tell her I want their rabies and distemper shots only this year. They're never out anywhere to need more then that, other then Jades rabies and parvo shots I don't think I'm too worried about anything else.

countrychic10
05-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Wow, scary, glad it all turned out okay. I agree the vet works for you and in the long run, those decisions should be yours. My two head for the vet next month, its been, two years since their last visit, so we'll see how good my vet is when I tell her I want their rabies and distemper shots only this year. They're never out anywhere to need more then that, other then Jades rabies and parvo shots I don't think I'm too worried about anything else.

Good Luck Celtech. I know last year when I took Blue in and only got a titre test done my vet was a bit testy. Though my normal vet has dealt with me long enough that it's pointless to push me into what I don't wanna do. :) :) :) The only shots I really worry over are parvo, distemper and rabies as those are pretty common in my area. Once my titre test prove immunity I don't even bother with it anymore other than checking yearly to make sure all is good. :)

celtechfarms
05-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Wabies in Nova Scptia, but it is in Northren New Brunswick and thats too close for comfort where we live in the country, we get bears and deer and cyots around the house fairly often, not to mention racoons and skunks, so I keep the rabies up to date, and we just had a huge parvo out break out here, two pet stores and an irreputable breeder were selling puppies already infected with it, and it just spread like wild fire, I kept Jade at home as much as possible because of it. Distemper is just one of those things I've seen in cats so I make sure my dogs are protected, its such a horrible desease. My vet wants to innoculate for something the deer are carrying, but I'm not sure if I'll get it or not, where my dogs arn't anywhere near where the deer come into.

countrychic10
05-23-2007, 08:07 AM
How terrible! We had a parvo outbreak not too long ago. It was on the news and such and over half the animals in the local shelter were sick and PTS. :( BYBer's around here are also notorious for having sick puppies and once they hand them out to the public the infection/disease spreads like wildfire.

Wonder what the vaccine is for the thing deer are carrying? We have whitetails here but they never come even close onto my property.

Though the Texas Diamond Back rattle snake is very common around here and they are offering a vaccine for that. It is fairly new so I'm going to look into it..I'm not getting it though until I research a bit more and give the companies a bit more time to work out the kinks that are surely present.

Oh..another big hit around here...get this....The dental disease vaccine!!!!! What a crock! If you take care of your dogs mouth you won't have to worry about dental disease, and I see no way what so ever that a vaccine will prevent your dog from getting the various dental aliments that result from poor diet and upkeep. My vet even thinks it's a total joke and will not give it in his clinic..though elsewhere it "sells" like hotcakes. :roll:

gsoul2soul
05-23-2007, 10:02 AM
you are sooo right countrychic10 !!!

Those dental disease shots are soooo flying north, south, east and west here!!

It's like the new "in thing" and "must do"... if you are a "pet lover"

Reading your post was so funny and right on target... Scam or no Scam ?