PDA

View Full Version : pup's weight

mypet
05-02-2007, 08:42 AM
My pup weighs about 14-15 lbs (3 months). She is a shepherd mix. I would like to know if her weight is okay. I am taking her to the vet coming week. Also any help on what to ask the vet during the first visit.
Thank you!

ritabooker
05-02-2007, 10:44 AM
If her ribs show just enough so that you can tell she has ribs, then she is probably ok. If she is chubby that will be obvious, but chubby pups are not unusual. Some dogs grow fast and look sleek but are still healthy. Your vet is the best person to ask this question of.

Whenever I take Abs to the vet I ask to have her ears, nose, heart, eyes and lungs checked. I don't really need to ask, he is a concientious vet and looks for problems. If your dog goes for an annual wellness checkup, that will put your mind at ease throughout the dogs life.

As for what to ask? Ask anything you want to know about or are unsure of.
Sometimes I make a list. Your vet should be willing to fill you in on any subject. Ours is very good that way, that is one of the reasons we all love him. We ask about flea treatments, skin conditions, eating habits...anything.

mypet
05-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Thank you, Ritabooker! I will ask the vet in detail. When i hold her, I can feel that she has put on some weight. But i can see few ribs near the abdomen(lower part). She loves to eat carrots, peas, and apples. After i introduced her the vegetables and fruits, her consumption of science diet got limited. Anyways, thanks again.

ritabooker
05-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Carrots, peas and carrots sounds good, but you need to make sure she gets enough meat or good quality kibble. She needs plenty of protein and calcium while she is growing.

There is a lot of controversy about kibble. I am going to post some links for you where you will find all kinds of opinions and reviews and ratings of the various kibbles(unless you want to feed raw).

I recommend you read these sites and then decide if she is getting what she needs.

http://animalark.eapps.com/animal/PetFoods.nsf/$$PetFoodsByManu?OpenForm

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/family/dog-food/index.html?source=adwords&gclid=CIPWjbXK8IsCFShWYAodWi_6OA

http://www.connecticutk9.com/dogfood.htm

This last one is having server problems, but try it later, it has some great information to consider.

mypet
05-02-2007, 05:39 PM
ritabooker,Thank you! I greatly appreciate all your help. I still have a big bag of Science diet. But, I am planning to buy another brand to see if she likes that one. I will check the links which you have suggested and try to choose the best ingredients. I am so scared coz lot of dogfood were recalled.

:?: I am not able to use avatar. I am planning to have my pet Taffy, aka Gugul (my daughter calls her, coz my pup, is all the time searching something) as my avatar. Could you help me as how to add avatar.
Thanks again!

ritabooker
05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Sure, I will try to help you with the Avatar, and then I will give you a link to the Menu Foods Recall list, just in case you do not already have it.

After you sign in to the Animal Forum, click on the Profile button at the top of the page. That will take you to all the options you can use for your account. Scroll down to the bottom of that page, and find the section called "Avatar Control Panel".

Make sure the picture you are trying to upload is not too big. The first part of the Avatar Control Panel tells you how big your picture can be. Are you trying to upload from you computer? If so, just use the Browse button to find your picture on your computer, select the picture you want and that will place the file name in the dialog box labeled "file name" at the bottom of the window. Click the "open" button which is just to the right of the file name, and it should put your picture in the Avatar preview window.

If your picture is too large it will not work, so you may have to use your photo imaging program to resize your picture first.

If your pictures are not on your computer, then the process is a little different. If your picture is not on your computer, let me know where it is, and I will help if I can.

Here is the link to the Recall site: http://www.menufoods.com/recall/
There is a link on this site that takes you to a list of all the recalled foods.

mypet
05-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Thank You......... ritabooker :D . I appreciate all your help. Please take a look at my avatar. Thank you for the link, too.

ritabooker
05-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Yay! What a cute pup. I like your daughter's logic in nicknaming her Gugul.

You are welcomed. Anytime.

P.S. The pup does not look too skinny in this picture. Maybe some others will give an opinion on that.

mypet
05-03-2007, 07:56 AM
All thanks to you, ritabooker. My d will be happy to hear that.
Gugul doesn't look skinny, but she is not chubby too.

I am starting to feel if she has rat terrier in her . I can't wait to see what vet says. Let you know what vet says.

mypet
05-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks again to you, ritabooker. I went to the Animal Clinic today and the vet said Gugul is fine. She had some vaccinations. Surprisngly, the vet could not find the breed. He said that we could find it once Gugul gets all her baby teeth. It's okay. I am happy that she is healthy :D .

ritabooker
05-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Good news! Thanks for letting us know. You are taking good care of her.
When you have more picures of her growth, we would love to see them.
We know what kind she is...the lovable kind. :D

Shortie
09-10-2009, 02:17 PM
if you're looking for a healthy dog food that can help with good dog weight, Fresh Pet Select is really good. It's natural with no fillers and all that other junk, and I have noticed positive improvements with my dog. If you wanna read more, their website is http://freshpetselect.com I highly recommend it.