PDA

View Full Version : training puppy

mypet
04-16-2007, 10:35 AM
I have adopted a puppy (shep mix) last Saturday :D . She was never alone from then. But i have to go out tomorrow for few hours. Any help on how to train her to be alone?
Thanks!

Arazante
04-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Many people put their dogs in a kennel when they leave the house if they are the type to chew things when they're gone. But it has to be a large enough kennel so the puppy can lay down, get up and move around a bit, maybe with a blanket or two. Someone's dog I babysat for would face the kennel towards the t.v. so the dog could watch it and the noise would comfort it a bit. :)

celtechfarms
04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Do you have a watch with a second hand, I found with my puppies a blanket with the smell of mom, a stuffed dog, with a watch with a second hand around its neck, were all the comfort they needed. Every pup is going to take some time getting use to being alone, but stuff like that can help. I definatly agree with the T.V. thing, but no food or water, cause then your going to have a puppy who needs to go, but can't cause shes in her kennel all alone , and then if she makes a mess she wont be able to escape it. And deffinatly kennel it, otherwise puppy could get into things not good for you or her.

ritabooker
04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the forum. The previous posters are giving good info.
If you want to read in more detail, here is an article on crate training:

http://perfectpaws.com/crt.html

Thanks for adopting a puppy. There are so many who need homes.

mypet
04-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Thank you, Arazante. I will see that her crate is turned towards the television.
Thank you, celtechfarms. I do not have a second hand watch but i do have a toy puppy.
Thank you, ritabooker. Your link about crate training is very useful.

I am having funtime with my puppy :D .
Thank you, all.