PDA

View Full Version : Gold and fintail fish

celtechfarms
04-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Hey all, just bought my oldest doughter some fish, gold fish and fintails, made sure they would all get along, and that there were enough of them that if something happened that one would not be noticed as missing. My question is, how do I care for my new pets, I have them, 9 of them, in an 11 liter tank, thats what 5 gallons? I think its around there. At current I don't have a sucker fish or a snail, do I need one? If so how many, it didn't say I would need on in the aquarium book.

My aquarium came with little blue rocks, a fake plant, (should I be looking for a real one) and a water filter. They are all very active fish, how many can you keep in that kind of tank, I know when it comes to certain animals space is a major issue, is nine too many? How many times a day, or week should I be feeding them. The food dish says twice to four times a day! My bata fish was once every two days, maybe thats why he didn't survive?

Also though my water is cold water, it is also a warm house, so the water is now a little tepid, when is warm too warm for the water? Should I be worried the tepid water of the tank is too warm? Anyway, thats it for now, hope you great group of people can give me a little advice so I don't lose any of these beautiful fish.

Arazante
04-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Five gallons seems a bit tight- I have been told 1 gallon per fish. Most fish prefer to hide and group together, so plants are good. For a tank that size, you shouldn't need any sort of cleaner fish.

I have been suggested to buy cloth plants because they look more natural, but if you get a lot of algae or bacteria buildup, it will stain them and destroy them fast. So I stick to plastic. If you have a filter, try putting the plant under the water flow to give it that natural movement.

Feeding.. I fed my fish twice a day, but they were clownfish. You could buy an automated feeder, but once a day usually does it. Many fish will eat until they die if given the opportunity. You could test to see how much food your fish will eat. Some fish are picky and only want fresh flakes while others like the pieces that fall to the floor. If you overfeed, you'll see bacteria build-up faster.

I forgot what temperature to keep it at.. it depends on the fish. I think my frend (who had fresh water) kept her's around 60 C (or F?). If the fish are hanging around the heater, it's too cold. I have never put my tank above room temperature. You'll know something is wrong with the water, in general, if your fish are faded, gasping, or just float around the tank rather than swimming.

I hope this helps.

celtechfarms
04-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Must be ferinhit humans can only survive to 50 C so 60 C is very very warm. My fish are swimming tons right now, but I have only had them for a day now. The plant that came with the aquarium said it was a silk plant, it felt fabric to me, I'll keep in mind to use plastic if this one fades. As for the feeding, I kind of have a combo of fish, some eat at the top, while others go to the bottm and others still catch stuff in between, I'm mainly worried about the slower fish missing out on food, I'll have to watch that. I also have no idea which are males and which are females, if there is even a gender diffrence, so hopefully there wont be any babies, though one looks like a very fat fish.

Thanks for advice.

Arazante
04-17-2007, 03:49 PM
The pecking order is almost unstoppable. I didn't always have that problem with my fish until I got my bigger tomato clown who turned out to be a huge bully- dominates more than half the tank and what's fed. Sometimes I would hover my hand over the water to scare him off a bit so the little one could get a few pieces.. but the bullied will search the area when the bullies are done.

For the male and female thing- This site may help. It has a variety of answers- http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_know_if_a_fish_is_male_or_female

TrueHeart
09-03-2007, 09:31 PM
and i want to add some advice

my fintail ussualy like to jump, so put a cover on your top of aquarium

and for gold fish do not overfeed, they will die if you feed it too much

thanks

aqua-tropical-fish
08-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Well, except to you, if you want snails, you can get them but they are not that important as you water quality that has to be on stable level. If your water is stable than don't worry about you fish's health.

Check once a week you water pH, don't overfeed your fish. You have 5 gallon tank, so it's not that big, have some powerful filter so your water will be always clear. Here is what i googled, hope it will help you with your fish keeping http://aquatropicalfish.com/forum/index.php

celtechfarms
08-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Well in the end three fish survived, they ate the other alive *shudders* but even those are gone as my dogs got up at the window while we were out and knocked the tank down. By the time we got home that night the fish were unfortuantly dead. *sigh* and so ends my adventure into the fish world.

aqua-tropical-fish
08-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Ooo comn nothing ends, I'll help you. I need to know where is the problem that you're facing with your tank and you'll enjoy your fish like I do 6th year already.

layla17
08-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Sorry to hear that you had some bad luck with the fish tank. I would want to give up after all of that too.

petterz88
04-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Must be ferinhit humans can only survive to 50 C so 60 C is very very warm. My fish are swimming tons right now, but I have only had them for a day now. The plant that came with the aquarium said it was a silk plant, it felt fabric to me, I'll keep in mind to use plastic if this one fades. As for the feeding, I kind of have a combo of fish, some eat at the top, while others go to the bottm and others still catch stuff in between, I'm mainly worried about the slower fish missing out on food, I'll have to watch that. I also have no idea which are males and which are females, if there is even a gender diffrence, so hopefully there wont be any babies, though one looks like a very fat fish.

Thanks for advice.

well thanks for sharing a new stories here...

boowdong
05-05-2009, 07:50 AM

Thanks for advice.

yeah your right, its good you made it, thanks for the help

jennismortal
06-11-2009, 01:49 AM
You have done a great job.Thanks for sharing that, it was wonderful of you.

aurther11
07-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Fantail gold fish are another hardy fish that are good for the beginning aquarist. They only grow to a moderate size (approximately 6 inches) and are quite manageable either in a pond or an aquarium setting.

As with other goldfish the fantail is a pretty messy fish to put it mildly. You will need to regularly clean the tank even if it is properly filtered. In terms of food the fantail gold fish will eat all sorts including flake and pellet food, blood worms and frozen food. It is best to feed them once per day and only enough food so that there will be no food left on the surface or on the bottom after five minutes.

Fantails have an egg-shaped body and can have a variety of colors including red, white, black, calico or a mixture of several of these colors. Their distinctive tail is obviously their defining quality from which they’ve been named. Their tails really can be quite beautiful. To be accurate it is their caudal tail (tail fin) that is like a fan that billows out as they casually swim up and down the tank or pond. I really find the forking of the tail fin a most beautiful feature of the fantail.