PDA

View Full Version : puppy eats own poo

DogMom
04-11-2007, 08:02 AM
i no this has been talked about a lot but i wanted to ask again.

i have a litter of 6 week old puppies that eat there own poop. i know there's stuff you can give a dog to not want to eat his poo but I can't find anything safe for puppies so young.

there poo smells really sweet too and i've never noticed that before in puppies.....i know the worm smells (they've been dewormed) and i've had parvo smells and coccidia smells. but this is really sweet. not like its a good smell where you stand there smelling going 'oh it smells so good in here' but more like a bearable bad smell. does that make sense? i've had toilet bowl fresheners that smelled worse.

they eat a beef loaf wet food mixed with water and then i use puppy chow mixed in with it. they eat the food just fine but they eat their poop even better.

any ideas?

ritabooker
04-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Some of this you have already eliminated as possible causes, and some may not be appropriate for young puppies, but I thought this article might help you sort it out:
http://www.veterinarypetcare.com/dogeatingfeces.html

Abby ate poo, too...yuk...I think they like gross stuff.

jozia
04-17-2007, 08:33 PM
It is only nutrition wise, your puppy eats poop because its healthy for him, as gross as it may seem. :shock: :shock:

jdjlynn
06-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Coprophagia can stem from a few different possibilities:

Understimulation, which leads to boredom and feces consumption.

Parasites (leads to starvation) can make the pups bowels move faster than the pups body can take in nutrients, as the parasites eat at the needed value of ingested food.

Starvation can happen even in a well fed pup, due to parasites. The pup still smells nutritional value in the feces, and due to the body eliminating needed product so soon, the pup recycles its waste material.

Rich, or high protien food being fed to a pup, too, can cause the above I mentioned - nutritional value is being passed out of the body, but the pup smells the *good* in the feces, so s/he recycles it.